14. The truth comes out

Mateo's pov

Today is the day I have to tell my mother about the whole 'marriage' thing. She is a very understanding women but I still don't know how she will take it. 

Phoebe comes running towards me and wraps her arms around my torso. I haven't been home much lately so I get why she misses me so much. 

"About time your back" She squeals, tightening her grip around my torso. "Sorry about that" I laugh. She pulls away from the hug and runs out of the room. I follow behind her and when I turn the corner I see my mother. 

"Mother" I hug her. I better be so sweat to her today, make sure I'm on her good side just in case. "I need to talk to you" I whisper, making sure my father doesn't hear if he is close. She nods her head and we walk into one of the many rooms in the castle. Its empty except for a table and a couple of chairs. 

I sit down at the head seat and my mother sits down beside me. Now we just wait for Noah and Jackson to get here. 

~~~

It doesn't take long for them to get here. Jackson sits on the other side of me and Noah sits down beside my mother. 

"I did something while drunk mother and I need your help" I rest my head on my hands that are being held up by my elbows on the table. 

"Okay, what is it" She questions. She has no clue what's about to hit her.

"I'm married" I utter. 

Her eyes widen "Are you joking with me" She laughs nervously, hoping it is a joke. 

"No" I shake my head "I was drunk in Vegas and I got married to some girl" 

My jaw clenched as I lied to my own mother. Everything is true except the girl I married, isn't just 'some girl' 

She's Conner. 

The girl who's growing on me more and more each minute I'm with her. 

"Mateo Damien Alvarez" She places her hands down on the table "You are the prince. Word will spread like wild fire" She pinches the bridge of her nose and takes some deep breaths. A piece of her dark brown hair falls over her face. 

"I'm sorry mother. I don't know what to do" I feel my eyes glaze over with tears seeing her so upset. 

The door bursts open and my father strides in looking more angry than I have ever seen him. "You got married. In Vegas" He yells, slamming his fists down on the table. 

"Father" I utter, only for him to cut me off "You disappointment. Do you know what this will do" He yells. 

I let my gaze fall down, not wanting to are the look on my parents faces. 

"What this will do" My father mumbles like he has a plan brewing in his head. He starts walk back and forth with his hand on his chin. 

"We go public with it. Get lot's of popularity" My father smiles at his own idea. 

I don't want Conner to go into the public eye. That shit sucks. It's horrible and Conner doesn't need all that negativity in her life. 

She needs to stay a secret. 

"No" I dead pan, standing up. "What do you mean 'No'" My father raises his tone. 

"Conn- The girl must stay a secret. She isn't going in the public eye" I raise my tone to match his. 

"Then what else. If you guys file for divorce she will be in the public eye anyways" He yells. "Well to bad" I yell back. 

Arguments with my father have always gotten heated fast. Mother says it run in the men's side of the family. 

"What if we get a private lawyer. They are really hard to come by but there is some of them in the world" Jackson pitches in. 

"That's not a bad idea. Ill start looking into them. Until then I want to meet her" My father utters before walking out the door. 

There is no way he is meeting her. 

"No you aren't. She stay's a secret" I walk out of the room and after him. "What is your deal with this girl. Why does she have to be this big secret no one can know about" He turns to me. 

"Because she isn't just some hooker I found on the side of the road father. She has an actual life. She has brothers and best friends. 2 loving parents" I defend her "She doesn't deserve to be in the public eye with all the hate that comes along with it" I finish. 

"Okay, but I would still like to meet her so bring her over some time soon before I find that lawyer and she's out of our lives for good" He scoffs at the last part before turning around and walking away. 

'Out of our lives for good'

What if I don't want her to be. 

_______________

I pull into the driveway at the house Conner and her friends are staying at. I get out of my car and rush up to the front door. 

I don't bother knocking and just walk in. I glance in the living room to see all 3 of the girls sitting on the ouch laughing. I watch Conner smile wide and tilt her head back to let out one of her addicting laughs for a moment before she glances over at my direction and her eyes light up when she see's me. 

Her smile some how gets even wider "Hey lovers boy". 

Jesus Christ that name. I don't want that name to go away but if she does, it goes with her. 

All the emotions I pushed away come back slowly. Ruining the moment. I turn away from the living room and jog upstairs. I hear her get off the couch and follow behind me. 

I walk into one of the many  guest bedrooms that haven't been claimed yet and sit down on the bed, facing the window and away from the door. I bury my head in my hands stress fully. 

The door creaks open and Conner slowly walks over beside me and sits down. 

"What's wrong" She asks quietly. "Everything surrounding this damn divorce" I admit. 

She sighs and hug my side, wrapping her arms around me. I lift my head out of my hands and pull my arms out of her grip. I pull her leg over me so she's sitting on my lap for a more comfortable hug. 

She doesn't question it and instead just wraps her arms around my neck and I bury my head in her neck, taking in her amazing scent. 

One of her hands come up and plays with the back of my hair. 

"We should do something fun tomorrow. I think we need a break from all this" She whispers. "Like what?" I whisper back as I pull my head away from her neck. Our eyes meet. 

Jesus Christ those brown eyes of her are going to be the end of me. That or her smile, or laugh. maybe everything about her. Sounds about right. 

"We should go ice skating, all 6 of us" She lightly smiles. 

My hand comes up from her back and I tuck a piece of her blonde hair behind her ear. 

"What about just me and you" I whisper as I draw random things on her neck right below her ear. 

Her bottom lip slides into her mouth as she tried to hold back a smile. I gently pull her lip out of her teeth with my thumb. She is drop dead gorgeous. 

We both just stare at each other for the longest time. 

My eyes fall to her lips and don't leave. Eventually they go back up to her eyes and I lean forward to kiss her. She does the same. Our lips come almost an inch apart before the door creak open. 

Conner quickly pulls away and gets off my lap. 

We both look at the door as Gabbie comes around the corner. 

"Just wanted to check up on you guys" She smiles. "We're fine" Conner smiles back, walking over to her. 

They both walk out together and I sigh, falling back on the bed. 

Should I be this disappointed Gabbie walked in.