24. Storm at home

Mateo's pov

The front door slams and I hear Conner's car pull our of the drive way, taking my heart with her. 

It feels like some one just drove a knife straight through my heart. Her words repeating in my mind over and over again. 

"What the hell did you say to her" I turn to Gabbie. "Nothing" She almost whispers and looks down at the ground. 

"It's not fucking nothing. You told her something because she just fucking left me so what was it you fucking told her Gabbie" I yell. Jackson quickly sits up from the stool and steps in between Gabbie and I. 

"I did tell her something. I told her that you cheated on her in your office this morning. She has been through so much shit in her life and I thought you would actually treat her right. I guess I was wrong" She goes to step closer to me but Jackson stops her with his arm. 

This morning. The noise behind the door. That was Gabbie. She has got this all wrong. 

Hannah, Jackson, and Noah all look at me like they just saw a ghost. 

"I wasn't cheating on Conner. I would never do that to her. The girl kissed me first and I pulled away as soon as she did, if you looked a little longer you would have saw that" I am on the verge of crying. 

"I-" Gabbie goes speechless " I am so sorry Mateo. I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions" She finishes, holding her mouth with her hands. 

"And now she's fucking gone" I mumble and sit down at one of the bar stools, burying my head in my hands. "You can get her back Mateo, it might take some time but I know you can do it" Noah places his hand on my shoulder, trying to comfort me but I pull my arm away and stand up, facing him. "Some time?" I yell "It's gonna take more than some time, She thinks I fucking cheated on her. She is never gong to forgive me" I shove his chest and he stumbles back. 

I go to take a few steps forward but Jackson steps in front of me and grabs my shoulders, putting my attention on him. "Take a walk Mateo. You are not in the right head space to be picking a fight with one of your best friends" He almost demands. 

I nod my head after a second than pull my arms away from his grip. I walk out into the hallway and as soon as I do everything hits me like a wall. My breathing gets heavier and I stumble against the wall. 

I lost her. 

Conner's pov

I pull my car into a look-out I found. I don't know where anything is in this country, I am like a mouse in a corn maze. 

I step out of my car and walk to the front, climbing on top and sitting down on the roof. 

Oranges, reds, and yellows cover the sky. It's a sun set and it is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. After living in Greece for the past couple of months I have noticed that they have really beautiful landscapes.  

I have no tears left to cry. My tear stained cheeks are red and my eyes are puffy. 

Another car pulls in beside me and I glance over to see who it is but it is no one I know. 

They step out of the car and it's an old man. He's short and hunched over a bit. His hair is grey and his face is full of wrinkles. His eyes are full of wisdom. 

He walks with a cane rather slowly. He notices me and he gives me a smile so I give him back on in return. 

He must have noticed my tear stained cheeks or my puffy eyes because he walks over to the side of the car. 

"Why is a pretty young lady like you sitting here all alone crying?" He asks, his voice is calm ad rather soothing. 

"I found out my boyfriend cheated on me" I normally would be sobbing at those words but I have no tears left to cry. 

"Describe this boy for me" His hand shakes as it comes up and lays over my arm gently. I hesitate for a moment before I speak "He always knew how to make me laugh, and he was always there when I needed him. Like when he found out I cut myself, he didn't tell anyone he just hugged me. And when I was missing my brothers, he flew me back home to go see them. He also had these dimples at that I loved, and a smile you could just die for" I don't know how but a couple of more tears fall down my cheeks. 

"He sounds like a real nice guy" His voice is a bit shaky from old age and his words and slurred just a tad. I nod my head and my bite lip, trying to hold back anymore tears that might come. 

"I can tell by the way you are describing him that he loved you very much, and he would give his entire life to you if he had to. But never go back to a cheater honey, they need do to figure themselves out. You need to move on from them" His voice is filled with wisdom.

I give him a small smile and look back out to the view. 

"This is where I married my wife. This was her favourite spot and we use to come here almost everyday. I still do, for her" He sighs and walks over to the bench that sits in front of our cars. He doesn't sit he just stands, looking out onto the view. 

"What happened to your wife. If you don't mind me asking" I ask. He turns back towards me and smiles "I don't mind you asking at all, I love talking about her. She passed away a few years ago from cancer" He replies. 

"What was she like" I wonder. "She was a bright person, always smiling and always happy. Everyone in town loved her. She has such a big heart and it was pure gold. I swear she was a angel from heaven. I was a little farm boy and she was the girl next door with blonde hair and everyone loved her. I was the lucky one though, I don't know why she chose me, I was rather scrawny and weird but she chose me out of them all. We were married for 64 years" He talks with great passion for her. His smile never fades and his eyes light up with every word about her. 

I want that kind of love. 

"What's your name honey. I forgot to ask, old age" He changes the topic. "My names Conner, you?" I ask him the same question in return. 

"John Morley but you can call me John with everyone else" He smiles. 

I slide down off the hood of my car and walk closer to him. I hug his his frail body that's just a bit taller than me. His shaky arm hugs be back while the other one holds the cane. "Thank you for the advice" I utter as I pull away from the hug.

"Of course, and if you ever need to talk again, I am here every night" He smiles. 

I give him a smile back and nod before walking over to my car. 

I open my door but before getting in I give him a wave and he gives me one back. 

I sit down and close the door, starting the engine. I watch for a second though before I drive away, he turns back around and sits down on the bench. He pulls something out of his pocket and looks at it for a moment, I move my head a little and see him holding a pocket watch with a photo of him and his wife in it. Both of them are older and sitting in two chairs, each reading a book with one hand and holing each other's hand with the other. 

My eyes begin to tear up again but I blink them away. 

I pull out of the look out and start driving back up the road. 

I know what I have to do, I have to move on. 

Do not come for Conner for wanting to move on so fast, in her mind Mateo cheated on her.