34. New years eve

Mateo's pov

We are still in Alberta with Conner's family and I don't mind it. I love seeing how happy she is with her family, especially her brothers. They're also a really fun group to hang around with. 

We have seen Gabbie and Jackson a few times since Christmas, along with Hannah. And now every one of us are at Conner's house their families, ready to celebrate new years. 

Gabbie's bump has gotten even bigger. Jackson won't leave her side or take his hands off her stomach, he loves that baby more than anything. Hannah has been sticking around her parents and when she's not with them she's with Conner. 

Noah and I have been talking for the last little while now but I'm not listening to a word he has been saying. My eyes are focused on my girl. 

She's wearing a tight black dress that shows off her curves perfectly. Her hair is lightly curled and she even has a tiny bit of make up on. Her and the girls all took forever getting ready but it's worth cause she looks drop dead gorgeous. 

Her legs are back to normal after Christmas, she spent the rest of Christmas day sitting down and when she did have to stand up for something you could see her legs shaking a bit. 

It's now 10:00 pm so we only have 2 hours until it hits midnight. 

Conner comes over with her normal smile on her face. God that smile can light up a whole city after dark. 

"Hey lover boy" She kisses my cheek quickly. "Hello darling" I smile back at her. 

The song changes to a slow song and everyone gathers in the living room with their partners. We had to move all the couches and stuff to the side so people would have some room to dance. 

"May I have this dance" I hold out my hand for Conner and she smiles as she takes it. I lead her onto the dance floor and twirl her around before pulling her into me. We sway side to side in the tradition slow dancing pose. 

"How has your night been so far" I ask her, breaking the small silence. "It's been really good" She smiles, looking up at me. 

"Well I'm glad" I reply before placing a kiss on her lips. Once I pull away she leans her head into my chest and I rest my chin on her head while we continue swaying back and forth. 

"Hi, can I steal her for a minute. It's important" Gabbie taps my shoulder and we both look at her. "Yeah of course, just make sure to bring her back" I chuckle at the last part. 

Gabbie takes Conner's hand and pulls her away from me. Jackson comes over and puts his hands in his front pockets. "So, wanna slow dance since our girls ditched us" He shrugs. 

"I ain't fucking slow dancing with you. There's to many people, wait til the crowd dies down" I joke. 

Even though Jackson is becoming a father I already know our friendship won't change. 

Conner's pov

"Where the hell are you taking, I was dancing with my boyfriend" I ask as she pulls me into her and we start slow dancing. 

"Liam's here" She says, looking around the room. My breath hitches at the name. I haven't seen him since the coffee shop a while ago. 

"Shit" I whisper under my breath "It's fine though, I don't have to worry. I have Mateo here" My positive speech thing is more for me than it is her. 

"Perfect timing" Gabbie says, making me confused, before spinning me around, but this time I don't go back into her arms, I land in Mateo's again. 

"Hello darling" He smiles. I can't help but feel happy again, even though my abusive ex is in the same house as I am.