The Straight Road

Smoothing her fingers over the raised red scar on his side she frowned. "Where did you get this? Did this happen in the accident?"

"Yes. It's nothing."

"I didn't know about it. They said it was just your leg."

He pulled her hand up to his mouth and kissed her fingers. "It's nothing, it's healed, nothing to worry about."

She sighed, giving herself another ten seconds in his arms before pushing herself up to a sitting position, holding the sheet against her chest. His fingers stroked up and down her back, causing a shiver to run through her. "I should go."

"Stay. Don't go."

Sighing she turned to face him. "Omer... don't, please. I need space."

Omer sat up, pressing soft kisses to her bared shoulder. "We belong together Defne. Don't put distance between us.. haven't we been apart long enough?"

Narrowing her eyes she chuffed out a disbelieving sigh. "And who put that distance between us Omer? Who left?"

He sighed and fell back to the mattress. "You're still angry."

"Of course I am still angry. At you, at me..." spinning her legs over the side of the bed she pulled her underwear off the floor and slipped her legs into them, scooping up her bra she did the same. "I need to go."

Omer sighed angrily and nodded. "Okay Defne, run... fine."

Clenching her jaw to prevent the angry words that were rising in her throat from coming out she pulled on her jeans and sweater. Grabbing her socks and boots she marched to the door. He rubbed a hand over his eyes tiredly as she stomped down the stairs. "Damnit Defne."

When he finally got dressed and made his way downstairs, he was surprised to see her still there. "I thought you'd left."

She looked up from the sofa, tears brimming in her eyes. Sighing he limped over to her and sitting next to her, pulled her into his arms. "I'm so confused. I don't know what is right and what is wrong anymore... you left, it was over and suddenly it's not, I don't know what to think, what to feel."

Kissing the top of her head he inhaled her scent. "Defne, we'll never be over. We've tried, it doesn't work. You're part of me, I don't know how I could continue without you." Burying her face into his chest she hugged him fiercely. "Do you want it to be over?"

She looked up at him, her eyes searching his face before shaking her head. "I don't... but it's no so simple anymore."

He laughed and pulled her back down to his chest. "You mean it was simple the first time?"

"No, you're right. The lie was always between us. But some of it was simple. I loved you, and you loved me, that was the easiest part."

"And that's the part that will continue to be simple. The part that will never change. Three months without you.. they were torture, I knew I'd made a mistake, but I couldn't see a way to come back.... not until you came to Rome. That was when I began to hope. That was when I knew that you loved me despite what I had done."

"I was so scared, I was on my way to the airport before I even realised what I was about to do. And then even though you were unconscious, I was so happy to see you... until they told us about Eda.. and then my entire world collapsed."

Turning her to face him, he held her cheeks between his hands. "Nothing and no one could ever change how I feel about you. You're my miracle Defne. Whatever the obstacles are this time, we will deal with them together. No more secrets..."

She nodded and he pressed his lips to hers and then to her forehead before bringing her cheek back down to his chest and wrapping his arms around her protectively. "My family... they won't accept this easily."