Intoxicating

Defne stared at the closed blinds in her office, frustrated that she didn't have that window into Omer's office. Hande had started working a few days ago and yesterday, she'd been stunned to hear Omer's laughter drifting through the glass partition, her open door had shown Hande leaving his office a couple of minutes later, Defne's eyes narrowing at the pretty woman. This morning, they'd arrived at the office together and both had been smiling, it had taken weeks to months before Omer had felt easy enough to smile with her when they arrived at the office. Maybe she'd mellowed the man a little too much. 

Realising that her thoughts were taking an unwanted turn, she berated herself. "Uff Defne, what do you care? You told the man you want nothing to do with him, did you expect him to stay single forever?" Yes, the answer to that question was decidedly yes. If she had to be eternally unhappy and lonely, then the least that Omer could do was feel the same. 

Hearing Omer's office door open, Defne looked up as he appeared in the doorway. "Uh, how about lunch?"

Biting her lip, she shook her head. "No thank you."

With a shrug, he nodded. "Okay, Hande made a reservation for three, I'll ask her to change it to two then."

"For three?"

He nodded slowly. "Me, Hande... and it was going to be you, but.."

Defne's mind suddenly leapt into action, realising that if she didn't go, that Omer and Hande would be lunching together, alone. "Actually, I am a little hungry... I'll come."

He bit back a smile, schooling his features so that she wouldn't see how pleased and yet completely unsurprised he was. "Good, good, wonderful." He tapped on the door frame and nodded. "See you in a bit."

She watched as he left, before letting out an anxious breath. "Good God Defne, you need to make up your mind, you're confusing yourself, never mind everyone else."

When they reached the restaurant, luck would have it that Hande spotted a table of relatives not far from their table, and with Omer's blessing she went to join them, leaving Defne and Omer alone. Omer's warm gaze was causing heat to spread through her body. Looking down at his menu, Omer couldn't help but think that this had turned out better than expected. 

"So? How are things at home?"

"Huh?" She looked up at him, confused. 

"The family, how are they? Your grandma, is she keeping well?"

"Ah, yes... yes she's much better, thanks for asking."

Nodding, Omer's eyes returned to the menu. "What will you have?"

Shrugging and putting her menu down, Defne looked around the restaurant. "Oh, it doesn't matter."

Omer chuffed and nodded. "Okay."

When the waiter came and took their order, Defne noticed that Omer had ordered something that she would ordinarily chosen for herself, the man still knew and understood her best. Her eyes drifted towards Hande, towards the laughing and smiling table. Omer's eyes followed her gaze and he saw his opportunity. 

"How are things going with Hande?"

Giving her an innocent look, Omer shook his head. "Going? What do you mean?"

"Is she doing the job well?"

"Oh, yes... of course. She's excellent. It's hard to find a good assistant, but she is very good at the job."

Narrowing her eyes, Defne's cheeks reddened in irritation. "Hard to find a good assistant? Is that right?" Taking a sip of his water, Omer nodded. "And you've never had a good assistant? Is that what you're saying?"