The End of the Road

I saw the first sneak peek of Cop Adam. Quite looking forward to seeing the first episode now. 

Someday soon had finally arrived, and Defne was even more nervous than she had been on her first wedding day. Somehow they had managed to pull a wedding together in three weeks, and despite her protests, her grandmother had insisted that all of the family would once again attend, after all, what did they have to be ashamed of?

Turkan was adamant that Defne would walk down the aisle with the man who had abandoned her once before with her head held high, and that the previous annulment could be explained away as a misunderstanding between the young couple. That they were marrying again, that should be enough to quiet the murmurs of her distant relatives by proving that they truly were in love. 

The thought of facing those relatives again, it was making her stomach churn, and the thought that something could occur that would threaten the happiness that she had finally allowed herself had her head pounding. She felt ill, not at all how a bride should be feeling on her wedding day. The ghosts of her past were lingering. Twisting her hands nervously, she looked at herself in the mirror, seeing nothing but apprehension. 

A knock at the door caused Defne to start, and she turned towards it slowly. "Come in."

The door opened and to her shock, Omer's head popped through the crack. He smiled gently and she sighed in relief. Seeing Defne's face, Omer frowned and stepped inside, closing the door behind him. 

"Defne? What is it?" He heard her shaky inhale, saw the watery state of her eyes and tight twist of her lips and hurried to her side, kneeling next to her. "Defne?"

Her wet eyes searched his, and then dropping her gaze she looked down at his warm hand clasping around both of hers. "I'm scared, Omer."

He sighed, brows knit together in concern, one hand cupping her jaw gently and raising her eyes to meet his again. "Defne. Look at me." When she finally met his gaze, he smiled warmly. "I know why you're afraid, I'm scared of the same thing."

"You are?"

"Of course I am. I keep waiting for someone to tell me you've run off, or your grandma has decided that I'm not good enough for you. I keep expecting you to realise that I'm not worthy of you."

"Omer..."

"Defne, I love you, I love you more than I have ever loved anything in my life, and I cannot wait to join my life with yours, for us to start a new life together. But as much as I want us both to forget the past, it would be impossible for it to not affect us today." Shuffling closer on his knees, he pressed a gentle kiss to her temple. "I am going to marry you today, I am going to call you my wife and I am going to continue to love you until I take my last breath, you're my home, Defne. You're everything I have ever dreamed of and more. But if you aren't sure about us, if you need more time... I'll understand, and we can walk out of here together, we don't need to face that crowd."

Sighing, she slipped her arms around his neck and hugged him to her. Omer was afraid of the same things that she was, but he wasn't going anywhere. He was right, the past would always be there, but it didn't need to ruin today. His reassurance was exactly what she needed, somehow he always knew what she needed. 

"I love you, Omer. I want the same things as you, for today to be over so that we can just close the doors and be together."

Omer squeezed her gently in his arms, closing his eyes in relief. Defne wasn't having second thoughts, she wasn't going anywhere. "I love you too." He pulled back and cupped her cheeks in his palms. "Are you okay?"