Pretend ~ NRxReader

Walking around town and having to pretend I don't know her is the hardest thing I have ever done, but I have no other choice... If they realize how much she means to me, they will hurt her... I can't let them, I won't. I know she can handle herself, but this is different. She doesn't know them or their methods, she doesn't know what they can and will do, not the way I do. So, here I am, walking the streets of New York, pretending to have no recollection of her and our life together whatsoever...

I notice a flash of red hair follow behind me in the reflection of a window. I speed up a bit, hoping I'll shake the person off. I can't deal with this at the moment... I round a corner but notice too late it's a dead end, I turn around and there she is. I try to walk past her like I would if she was a stranger, but she blocks me.
"I'm sorry, could you please let me through, miss?" I ask her politely.
"Cut the crap, Y/N."
"I'm sorry, but I think you have the wrong person." I lie to her face.
"No, I'm pretty sure I got the right one. Y/N Y/M/N Y/L/N, born on (Your birthdate) in (your home town)."
"Never heard of them, I'm sorry. My name is Amelia, Amelia Boxter. I recently moved here, I don't know anyone here." I see something happen behind her eyes as she starts to believe that I genuinely don't remember.
"I-I'm sorry for bothering you..." She stammers and walks away.
"Wait! I didn't get your name!" She walks on, ignoring me. I'm so sorry, my love, I wish there was another way... I will come back to you when it's safe, my Natalia. I'm sorry for hurting you, but they would hurt you more than this... They're worse than the RedRoom and Hydra combined, from what you've told me... I sigh, hanging my head low and walk on to my apartment.

*A timeskip brought to you by Clint venting about the team while hiding in a vent*
"I know you remember."
"Look, miss. I told you last time I saw you, I don't know any Y/N. I assume I look a lot like them, but I'm not."
"They were in an accident, the doctors said that if they would wake up, there would be a big chance they wouldn't remember... They were my partner, my everything..." Nat starts to slowly break down, something she never does in public. "C-can I hug you? Please?" She asks hopeful.
"Sure." She practically throws herself into my arms. Oh how I missed this...
"I'm sorry, Natasha..." I whisper into her ear.
She tries to push me away, but I don't let her go.
"I never told you my name."
"You did, a long time ago. "
"You remember..." Once again she tries to push me away from her.
"I never forgot you, but I couldn't .... I had to go and pretend I didn't. They would hurt you, badly, maybe even kill you..."
"I can handle it, I've been through worse."
"Babe, listen to me please. They aren't like the RedRoom, or like Hydra. If anything, they're worse than the two of them together. They are constantly watching me, I have seen them on countless occasions. If I show I remember, they will realize that you are the one thing in my life I can't live without and they will do anything to hurt me the worst they can. I'm gonna let go now, please don't give them anything they can use against us. I will come back to you when it's safe, but for now I need you to let me go. I love you Natalia." I slowly let go of her, creating a bit of distance. "Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. I really wish for you to find them, they clearly mean a lot to you. I have to go now though, it was nice to see you again." With that I leave the love of my life.

*Another timeskip brought to you by little miss Morgan Stark running around with her fathers helmet*
Nat's pov
"Look, Nat. She told you to let go, maybe you should. She left you, twice."
"She wanted to protect me, twice."
"So? Leaving someone isn't protecting them, it's hurting them. You barely came out of your room the first few months after she convinced everyone she didn't remember!"
"I know that, Clint! Do you think it's easy for me to not just find her and yell at her?! I can't do that because I miss her too fucking much! She was the first person I ever let in that way and she left, yet I can't let her go."
"I never intended to hurt you..." I hear from behind me, surprising both my bestfriend and me.

Your pov
"Y/N..."
"Hey..."
"What are you doing here?" She asks carefully.
"Told you I'd come back to you."
"They're gone?"
"For good. They will never hurt anyone again. If you still want me, I would like te make it up to you..."
"How do I know you won't leave me again? I can't deal with that..."
"I promise you, I will never leave your side again." Clint slowly backs away from us and leaves the room to give us some space alone.