Home ~ WMxReader

I'm walking down the street, the hood on my vest on my head to avoid being recognized, and checking my surroundings by the reflections in the windows of the stores I pass. I notice I'm being followed by an all too familiar redhead and I pray it's just a coincidence, not her actually following me. To test my theory, I suddenly turn right and walk into this small alley leading to a lower-class neighborhood, where she has no use in being unless she is, in fact, following me. I slow down my pace, but keep walking to the other end of the alley to not raise suspicion. 

As I had feared, not long after having turned the corner, I hear her calling out to me. "Y/N wait!" And as much as it hurts, I know I have to pretend I don't know who she's talking about, so I just keep walking. "Y/N!" I hear her run my way so I carefully look over my shoulder. "Wait, please." She nearly begs me so I stop. As she catches up to me, I turn around to face her and say the words that hurt more than anything else to say. "I'm sorry, ma'am, you got the wrong person. I don't know any Y/N." She looks at me dumbfounded. "W-what are you talking about? You're Y/N." I shake my head. "No, ma'am. My name is Waverly. Like I said, I don't know anyone by the name Y/N." "Oh..." She whispers. "I'm sorry to bother you...  I must have mistaken you for someone else..." I smile sadly and nod. She turns around and starts walking back to the main street and I call after her. "Wait, what's you're name?" She stops walking and turns back to me. "Wanda." She says, the heartbreak and disappointment evident in her voice. "It's nice to meet you, Wanda, and I hope you'll find your Y/N soon." She nods and continues walking.

As I watch her round the corner to main street, I mutter. "I hope I can find my way back to you soon, my love." I look down and make my way on to tbe small one bedroom apartment I managed to get for myself and think about what just happened. How I just had to lie to the love of my life in order to protect her from those horrible people and how it broke her heart. I just hope she didn't read my mind, because if she did she'll be so much more pissed when I come back to her...

——————————

A few weeks later, I'm sitting at a local diner, forcing myself to eat, when I see her walking by. I get up,drop a 10 dollar bill on the table to pay for my food and make my way out the door. "Wanda, right? How have you been? Did you find that Y/N person yet?" She looks at me and forces a fake smile on her face. "Hi. No, not yet... My friends say I should give up on searching but I can't. She's my girlfriend, or atleast she was... She had to go on a trip for work and never returned..." She explains to me. Oh darling, if only you knew what happened... "I'm so sorry to hear that. Do you mind if I hug you? You seem like you could use a hug." She nods and I gently wrap my arms around her, hugging her tight.  "Just play along, please." I whisper into her ear and she whispers back. "What do you mean?" "I can't come home yet, my love, they're watching me and the first thing they'll do to hurt me is torture you. I can't let that happen." I feel her slightly stiffen in my arms. "You pretended to be someone else." "I'm sorry, Wands, I had to. They're always listening, it's safer to pretend." I feel her nod and I slowly break the hug before speaking. "I hope you'll be able to hold your girlfriend again soon, Wanda." I tell her, knowing she'll understand what I'm trying to say. "Yeah, me too." The look in her eyes tells me she understands yet is so confused at the same time, and all I can do I smile comfortingly before fully letting go of her. "I'm sorry for holding you here, I'm sure you have somewhere to be. It was lovely seeing you again." She nods. "You too. See you, Waverly." I smile at the tone of her voice as she calls me by the name I gave her last time we saw each other.

——————————

The day has finally arrived, the day I have been waiting for since the moment I escaped their captivity. As I make my way to the Avengers' Tower, I feel my nerves getting stronger and I keep making sure my hood is up all the way.

I step into the elevator to the sixth floor, where the living area is, and wait. Never in my life has a trip in the elevator felt this long, but who am I kidding? It's been nearly a year since I 'disappeared'. A year since I was sent on that godforsaken mission, a year since they captured and tortured me, 9 months since I managed to escape, yet only a day since I was finally able to take them out once and for all... Now, it's finally time to go home, if they'll let me, if she'll let me, that is. I would'nt blame her if she would'nt, after all I was supposed to be gone for at most a few hours but it has been three months since the day she followed me into that alley and she hadn't heard from me at all in the time after my escape...
Finally the elevator reaches my floor and I walk out of it, slowly making ny way to the living room, where most likely everyone is, ready to attack me. "Hi guys..." I say as I enter the room and take off my hood. I see a lot of angry and surprised faces, but it is the look of relief on Wanda's face that makes it all worth it. The team starts asking me a lot of questions and cusses me out for just disappearing like I did, while Wanda just slowly makes her way to me and hugs me. "Guys, I promise I will explain everything in a bit but please just let me hold the love of my life for a little while."

As expected, a few minutes later, the team demands an explanation and I tell them everything, while keeping my arms wrapped around Wanda's waist. I tell them how my mission went south and that the people ambushed and kidnapped me, how for months they tortured me both mentally and physically, how I managed to escape but couldn't return yet because they would come for Wanda, and how, after 6 months of working out the perfect plan, I managed to eliminate the threat. "So they're really gone now?" Wanda asks me as she looks up at me, having cuddled up against me while I spoke. "Yes, my love, we're safe now." She nods and asks quietly. "So you won't leave again?" The fear in her voice breaks my heart and I hold her even tighter against me, not caring that the rest of the team is watching us closely. "I will never leave you again, I promise. I have my resignation letter ready to deliver to Fury, I'd rather stay at home every day while you're on missions than risk this happening all over again."