8 - Notebook Paper

This chapter is dedicated to my dear beloved, Mango (imalwayshungry33). This being written could only be possible because of her insistence for me to post in a vc call at midnight.

"You're staring."

"I'm not staring."

"Whatever you say, Blueberry"

✧✧✧

"Hey George," Nick drawls from the other end of the table. George turns his head away from Dream to face him. "You're in charge of tryouts again, right?" A nod. Sapnap smirks and glances behind George at Dream who was listening. 

"Why?" George asks, glancing over his shoulder to follow Sapnaps stare. Dream just shrugs and goes back to scrolling on his phone, ignoring the conversation entirely. "I don't know." Sapnap ponders, "Just asking."

George raised a brow and opened his mouth just as the bell rang. Lunch's over. "Well," Alex starts, standing up from the table with his hands braced on the surface, "see you guys later." He says with a wink before running off to class. Or then sum. Probably to track down a poor underclassman to adopt, like he usually does. Or to go draw on the bathroom stall walls. 

George's eyes follow him until he's out the cafeteria doors. He then grabs his bag and looks at Nick, "I've got Chem" George shoulders his bag. "Calc." Nick says, pulling on his own backpack. Dream stays silent, an earbud in one ear with the other hanging out of the hoodie.

"See you after school then," George says, doing their quick handshake before splitting ways. Dream stays, lingers is a better way to put it. George turns to him, and despite himself, he cranes his neck slightly to meet the other's gaze. 

"And you?" George asks, jerking his chin to the doors to indicate that they should probably start walking if they don't want to be late. Dream shrugs and unfolds a blue sticky note that must be where he wrote his schedule. "Chem." He mumbled and George nodded before turning and walking.

Hesitantly, Dream trailed behind him. They were at the cafeteria doors before George stopped abruptly, causing Dream to almost slam his chest into George's back. "Why are you all the way back there?" George turns around and asks.

Dream's mouth opens, then closes it. He just shrugs, taking a healthy step back from George. "I won't bite. You can walk with me if you'd like." George says softly, almost frowning. Was he that unapproachable that Dream was afraid to walk with him to class since they were in the same building?

Dream slowly nodded, debating on making a biting joke. He decided against it as he walked next to George out into the hall. It's best not to scare him off, especially not now. Not when their kindling friendship was so new. So fragile.

Students started filtering into classrooms, many couples hugging each other obnoxiously in the hall as if they were never going to see each other. most of them being freshmen. The swarms of people thinned out by the time George and Dream reached their class. But George just paused in front of the door and tilted his head up at Dream who was frowning. 

"Who do you have?" George asked. Dream unfolded his blue sticky note and frowned further at it. "Jackson." Dream says, and George stills. Great. 

"Oh," George says, straightening and turning towards the door. The warning bell rang and George just put on his usual smile before saying, "I guess we have Chem together." Dream just nods, almost hesitantly. George pulls open the door, holding it open for Dream to walk in.

As the blond does, George tries to not let his smile drop. I guess I'm really stuck with him this year. He follows Dream in, nodding a greeting to Ms. Jackson. George has had Ms. Jackson before in his regular chem last year and bio in his sophomore year.