13 - Just Seven Minutes

A/N: Long chapter ahead, 5000+ words babes <3 get some water and find a quiet and cozy place to read this. 

"I'm not going to kiss you."

 "Okay." 

"I promised myself I wouldn't."

"Okay."

"I want to, though."

"I know."

✧✧✧

George stood leaning against his kitchen counter, a red solo cup in his hand that contained nothing but plain old apple juice. Music beat through his head and he ignored his ears screaming at him for some sort of rest. 

He used to associate that beat of the music with a good time. Something he could go to when he needed to let go of his building stress and expectation. Now, all he could feel and hear was the painful bass that echoed through his body which sent his heart racing within every drop. He never realized how unpleasant it was to be sober and try tolerating overly loud music. 

Random groups of people filtered in and out of his kitchen, pouring concoctions of various alcohols into their cups before leaving. He knew most of them. Not all by name, but most. George watched as people danced and drank in his living room, not missing the way that everyone in the room had some sort of smile on their face. At least someone was having fun. That's a win, at least.

"Are you going to just stand there and watch or are you going to actually have a good time?" Nick asked, clapping a hand on George's shoulder, shaking him out of his daze.

"I'm having enough fun standing right here," George said a matter of factly, taking a sip out of his cup. Nick sighed and snatched the cup out of George's hand before taking a sniff. He scoffed and shoved the cup back into his friend's hand with a disapproved scowl. "Apple juice? Seriously?"

George roll his eyes and took a long sip out of his cup out of pure spite. Nick sighed and pointed to the crowd that was gathered in his living room. "There's a whole party here. You should try and have fun." George huffed and narrowed his eyes, "I told you, I'm having fun right here. In my kitchen. With my apple juice."

"That's not what I-"
"Pandas!" How does he always do that? Alex popped out of fuck know's where (again) and slung a drunken arm around Nick and George's shoulders. He gave a stupid smile, a pen held in between his index and thumb. George' scrunched his nose, "What did I tell you about smoking in the house, dipshit? Take that shit outside." George scolded.

Alex shrugged and snatched George's cup. Why do they keep doing that? "Yeah yeah I know. What's in here? Vodka? Whiskey?" He took a sniff and gagged. "Apple Juice?!" He exclaimed, obviously offended. George sighed and nodded, snatching his cup back. 

"Dude, what happened to your party spirit? Who drinks apple juice at a high school party full of booze?"
"You know, I've been meaning to ask you where you get the booze from-"

Alex grabbed the nearest bottle of vodka of who knows what and pours more than enough into George's cup. "Have fun, Georgie. It's your party." And with that he rushed off, slipping on his feet slightly before successfully making it to the living room, out of sight.

"Technically it's your party," George says to Nick who's sifting through the emptying bottles on the counter. Nick shrugs, "Not really. Your house, your party."

George sighed frustratingly and squinted at the cup that now consisted of a vodka-apple juice mix. What a glorious combination. Bleh. "Dude go enjoy the party. I'm probably going to go out and smoke." George said, trying to shove off his friend that was obviously wanting to jump back into the party but was fearful of leaving him alone.