Chapter 9 - No Idea

Error's POV

  I put my hand on Ink's bedroom door, standing still for a few seconds.

  I was a bit nervous because ever since I had saved Ink from the cocoon, I have been acting weird. It was clear that the unknown person was reason for my strange behavior.

  A sigh escaped as I pushed open the door. I stopped in my tracks when I suddenly saw that Ink was awake.

He was no longer in his bed, now standing on the balcony and looking out at the town.

  My hands subconsciously went to grab my dual blades. However, something in my mind told me that I wasn't in any danger.

As soon as my hand touched the hilt, Ink turned his head. Our eyes locked, causing me to freeze.

Ink's eyes were mystifying but they were filled with uncertainty. He turned back around, continuing to watch the people below.

Ink: You do not have to draw your weapons. I will not harm you. At least... I don't think I will.

The first thing that I noticed was that Ink had a different accent. His Rs were rolled off the tongue.

I didn't hesitate to put away my blades. Walking towards Ink, I stopped next to him and stared at him.

I was shocked to see that Ink was almost as tall as me, just a bit shorter. He wasn't like the other villagers.

Me: Who are you?

Ink was silent for a second before answering my question.

Ink: I... don't know. I can't remember.

The uncertainty he held appeared in his voice.

Me: Do you have any memories?

Ink: No. I don't even remember my own name.

Me: Ink. Your name is Ink.

Ink looked at me with a confused expression.

Ink: How do you know?

Me: Even though we've never met, you're familiar to me. Although I am certain that is your name.

He turned his head towards me, letting me see his enchanting eyes. I felt at peace talking with Ink.

Ink: Strange. I have that same feeling that I know you as well.

The door opened, interrupting our conversation. Ink and I turned around to see who had entered the room.

I was slightly irritated when I saw the yarl and his advisor walk into the room. They motioned for Ink to follow them, which I soon trailed after.

We were led into the tower that the leading mage lived in. I had never been in there as I was always out on adventures but I did missions for her occasionally.

After entering the home of the mage, I looked around at my surroundings. There was something to look at in every corner of the tower.

Trinkets were stacked on top of one another on shelves. Books were scattered across the floor. Magic runes, crystals, plants, and potions covered the table. A white owl slept on its perch high up in the room.

A feminine yet masculine voice came from a stack of books. Despite being tall, it was hard for me to see the mage behind it. A female appeared in front of us while holding a book in her hands. I recognized her as Freyja.

Freyja was a former mercenary who worked for a rich family back in Volkhelm, a village covered in snow located between a line of mountains. Scars covered her face and her arms were full of muscle. She was a bit taller than the yarl but still extremely short compared to Ink and I.

Freyja: What can I do for you?

Yarl: We brought the person found within a cocoon.

He said as he motioned at Ink. The woman glanced at him for a second before speaking with Ink personally.

Freyja: Follow me. I want to see your chakra.

Ink: My... what?

I poked Ink on the shoulder to get his attention.

Me: Mages use magic to create an orb that shows what type of magic you have and the stability of it. That orb is called a chakra.

(Time Skip)

Freyja analyzed Ink's, who was sitting on a table, chakra. I leaned against a wall while sharpening my weapons. The yarl and his advisor had left some time ago, causing the room to be quiet.

My attention was drawn to the woman when she began to speak. My eyes moved to Ink's chakra, which had many colors swirling within it but it was at a stable level.

Freyja: Fascinating. I've never seen this type of magic before... and I've seen everything.

Ink: What would be your guess?

Freyja: I have no idea. From what I've read in books, your magic could be ancient.

  I pushed myself from the wall and walked over to Freyja.

Me: How ancient?

  She shrugged.

Freyja: I don't know... thousands of years old... maybe a millennia.

  Ink was silent, looking at the floor.

Ink: ...

How long was I in that cocoon?