Lover Number 1.3

Huang Yiming frowned, his confusion evident on his face. "That doesn't make sense," he voiced his bewilderment, causing both him and Li Jie to halt their steps. "How can the emperor be so accepting of it?"

Li Jie regarded his friend with a knowing look. "I see your point," he conceded after a thoughtful pause. "Is that why you always urged me to wait and gain power first? I suppose you were partly correct."

Huang Yiming sighed and affectionately patted Li Jie's head. "Your highness, sometimes your naivety astounds me. It makes me want to bang my head against the wall."

"But I've excelled in all matters of state affairs and competitions," Li Jie stated with a blank expression.

"Different, entirely different," Huang Yiming shook his head in response. "When it comes to matters of the heart, you are as oblivious as one can be."

Li Jie remained silent, acknowledging the truth behind Huang Yiming's words. It wasn't entirely his fault, though.

Throughout his life, Li Jie had only interacted with a handful of people. The emperor and empress, due to past family issues, had sheltered him from the world, safeguarding his innocence. Huang Yiming understood their reasoning and their desire to protect Li Jie, but he also disagreed at times.

"You see, my dear friend," Huang Yiming resumed walking, and Li Jie followed closely. "You were shielded excessively."

"Someone can be kind and genuine to you all the time, but that doesn't mean a small detail like this won't alter their perception," Huang Yiming explained, his tone filled with concern.

Li Jie leaned on his friend, sighing softly, and then smiled up at him. "I understand, Yiming. I'm not entirely oblivious."

"And yet, you still revealed it to the emperor??" Huang Yiming couldn't comprehend the crown prince's actions. "You could have had a harem filled with women, without any expectations of physical involvement. But by confessing the truth... you know they'll have certain expectations from you."

"Yes, but I didn't want that," Li Jie admitted, averting his gaze.

"Really?" Huang Yiming raised an eyebrow, skepticism in his voice. "Truly, your highness?"

But both Li Jie and Huang Yiming knew it was a lie.

"Okay, I confess," the crown prince relented, looking away with a blush on his cheeks. "I didn't have to rush and reveal it, and I knew I shouldn't have, but..."

Huang Yiming understood Li Jie better than anyone else. They had grown up together, and he was perhaps Li Jie's only true friend beside Huang Baozhai, Huang Yiming's older sister.

Unable to bear seeing Li Jie in distress, Huang Yiming grasped the crown prince's shoulders and made him face him directly. "Your Highness, Crown Prince Li Jie!" Huang Yiming's unease grew with every passing moment since he had heard about the harem. "Please, tell me you didn't blurt out this fact in front of the entire court!"

Li Jie's smile turned sheepish and guilty as he slowly shrugged his shoulders, confessing, "Well... maybe I did?"

Huang Yiming fell silent, trying to process the crown prince's admission. He had suspected that something like this had transpired, but he had refused to believe it until Li Jie himself confessed.

"Li Jie!" Before Huang Yiming could utter another word, Huang Baozhai appeared before them, her smile as radiant as ever.

"What's my favorite prince doing with my brother, but not me?" she playfully questioned, donning her armor and slinging her arm over Li Jie's shoulder, mirroring her brother's action.

"But I don't think that counts," she smirked at the boy, who grinned back at her. "You may be the only prince, but whatever! I still like you more than this bitch beside you."

"Fuck off," Huang Yiming retorted, pushing his sister's hand away.

Li Jie was well-acquainted with the banter between the siblings. He knew they spoke freely like this, but he also knew that in Huang Yiming's eyes, if any man dared approach his sister, he would swiftly intervene.

And for Baozhai, if any girl attempted to get close to her little brother, she had a mischievous trick up her sleeve. A few roaches she had caught herself would find their way into the unsuspecting girl's bed.

This knowledge came from a true experience they had all encountered before.

"Aww!" Baozhai pretended to be dazed. "Do you want to keep my best friend all to yourself? Well, tough luck, you little bitch! This adorable little sweetheart is mine~!"

Li Jie was about to interject, but Huang Yiming beat him to it. "Well, he won't be for long," the boy remarked with a bitter tone. "Li Jie is getting a harem."

"WHAT!?" Baozhai's glare intensified as she directed it towards Li Jie. "Tell me this isn't true! Are you cheating on me? Have you forgotten about pure love? My highness! My sweet, innocent highness!"

Li Jie chuckled. "Don't be so dramatic, Baozhai," he replied, avoiding eye contact with Huang Yiming, who was still visibly upset. "And I specifically asked you not to say such things out loud. People might hear and misunderstand."

"Sorry, sorry," Baozhai said, now adopting a more serious expression that suited her armored attire. "But seriously, are you truly getting a harem, or is this guy just bitter towards me?"

Li Jie sensed Huang Yiming's mouth about to open again, so he hurriedly revealed everything to Huang Baozhai before her brother could utter a word.

"That's pretty foolish indeed," Baozhai nodded, although she didn't appear as angry as Huang Yiming. "You shouldn't have acted so recklessly, but at least now you're free."

"You're not angry?" Li Jie asked, surprised, his face flushed from the cold weather.

"Honestly..." The three of them continued walking towards the crown prince's palace. "I'm a little shocked that you spoke so openly about this, considering your position. The emperor could have taken everything away from you, but thankfully, he was supportive.

"Furthermore, the court hasn't said anything, and if they dare to speak ill of you behind your back to the emperor... Well... Our emperor is wise, and he'll surely recognize their ulterior motives.

"But there's another side to this as well. You being gay might prompt them to force their sons into the harem for the future position of empress consort, so you must be cautious. However, I believe that you would make a better empress than any future men in your harem, if you catch my drift...

"Anyway, discussing this matter without seeking advice was quite foolish, your highness, but it's good to have it off your chest.

"Now we just need to find a way for you to keep quiet in the future, so you won't blurt out important things where you shouldn't. But for now, everything seems to have turned out well!

"And who knows, maybe your true love is hidden within your harem?" Huang Baozhai playfully nudged Li Jie, her smile infectious.

"Perhaps," Li Jie blushed, deciding to embrace the optimistic perspective that Baozhai presented. Honestly, it felt much better to consider everything from that angle.

"I still can't fathom why Li Jie shouldn't have the chance to fall in love like in other 'meet and fall in love' stories," Huang Yiming muttered, his gaze fixed on the ground, feeling a sudden weight on his shoulders.

"In the palace alone, there are countless people who could, perhaps... one day capture your heart..."