Lover Number 1.7

Li Jie struggled to find his voice, his mind reeling from the sudden turn of events. With a quick gesture, he signaled Huang Yiming to remain silent and composed himself, determined to handle the situation with calmness.

"Counselor Shi He," Li Jie spoke, his voice steady despite his inner turmoil. "Have you considered the potential implications on your reputation and rank by accepting such a position?"

Shi He's expression remained unchanged, his tone unwavering. "Your highness, the emperor assured me that he will handle any consequences. I am acting in the best interest of the kingdom's future."

"I understand your perspective," Li Jie replied, maintaining his composure. "However, transitioning from a highly esteemed counselor and esteemed ex-general to becoming the crown prince's male consort raises concerns about public perception."

"You need not worry yourself with these matters, your highness," Shi He's eyes narrowed as he spoke. "The emperor has assured me that he will take care of it."

Li Jie hesitated for a moment, then glanced at the impassive figure of Huang Yiming beside him. "Can my imperial father truly resolve this matter?"

Shi He raised an eyebrow, a hint of suspicion in his gaze. "Certainly, your highness. The emperor is more than capable of handling such a trivial issue. Do you doubt his ability?"

Li Jie received a note from Shi He, his curiosity piqued. Opening it, he read the message from his father, filled with reassurance and a hint of playfulness. Folding the note with a smile, he tucked it safely into his pocket.

"This note from my imperial father suggests that your assistance may not be required," Li Jie replied, his tone confident. "I appreciate your concern, but I believe I can manage the challenges ahead."

Shi He's eyebrows furrowed, suspicion evident in his voice. "Why would you reject my help, your highness? It is in your best interest. You cannot handle all the political intricacies alone."

Unable to tolerate the tension any longer, Huang Yiming reached out, placing his hand protectively on Li Jie's waist. His voice remained calm yet firm as he addressed Shi He.

"I believe his highness has made his intentions clear. Your assistance is not needed, Counselor Shi He," Huang Yiming stated, his gaze unwavering.

"You are Huang Yiming from the Huang household, aren't you?" Shi He's smirk held a hint of annoyance. "After the recent court incidents, perhaps you should maintain a greater distance from his highness. People might misinterpret your actions."

Huang Yiming's expression remained unchanged, his composure unbroken. He understood the need to handle the situation delicately and prevent any escalation that might distress Li Jie.

"His highness has entrusted me with his protection within the harem," Huang Yiming responded calmly. "I assure you, your help is unnecessary."

Shi He's eyes blazed with hidden anger, though he held his tongue. Observing Li Jie's unfocused gaze and clenched fists grasping his sleeve, Huang Yiming decided to be transparent with the counselor.

"I am serving as his highness's cover within the harem," Huang Yiming revealed, his tone still composed. "Your assistance is not required."

Shi He remained silent, but his eyes burned with fury.

Taking in Shi He's reaction and realizing that Huang Yiming's position in the harem would be crucial, Li Jie breathed a sigh of relief. He trusted Huang Yiming and knew that his friend had a plan.

"Counselor Shi He, I appreciate your concern, but I have chosen to rely on my friend's assistance," Li Jie stated, offering a slight bow to convey his gratitude.

"Your highness," Shi He's frown mirrored his earlier expression in court. "I strongly advise against such a decision. It may not be wise."

In an unexpected interruption, Huang Baozhai interjected into their conversation. "And why should he not be considered, Counselor Shi?"

Li Jie inwardly winced, noticing Shi He's evident dislike for both himself and Huang Yiming. Now, Huang Baozhai, taking her brother's place, had joined their unofficial meeting.

"General Huang," Shi He addressed the girl with the same animosity he displayed towards her brother. "May I inquire as to why you were eavesdropping?"

"I wasn't," Huang Baozhai replied, flashing an innocent smile. "I happened to be passing by and caught a snippet of your conversation."

They all knew she was lying through her teeth, but Shi He had no way to prove it. He also understood that the Huang siblings held a close relationship with the crown prince, which should have commanded some respect from the former general. However, it only seemed to fuel his hostility.

"To address your query," Shi He dismissed her presence, attempting to resume the conversation. Yet, Huang Baozhai took great pleasure in watching him, aware of his burning desire to glare at them.

"The matter of the crown prince's harem pertains to the court and the kingdom," Shi He redirected his gaze to Li Jie. "If Your Highness wishes to include your friend in the harem for protection, that decision lies solely with the emperor. I have no say in Your Highness's personal affairs."

"But regarding the purpose of my visit," Shi He continued, his tone businesslike. "The matter has been settled and will be announced soon."

Li Jie's shock subsided momentarily as the realization hit him. "Announced? When?"

"The court moves faster than you anticipate, Your Highness," Shi He grumbled, his expression unchanged. "Fifteen high-ranking officials, including myself, have been selected, contacted, and have responded."

"Your Highness, the harem building that rightfully belonged to your father has remained vacant, and the empress prefers to reside in her own palace," Shi He explained. "The harem building, the consorts, and all necessary arrangements have been made. It's only a matter of time before the news spreads."

Shi He smirked at Huang Yiming, exuding an air of authority. His eyes gleamed with a sense of superiority. "I have insisted that I alone suffice for Your Highness's needs. However, you must act swiftly, Your Highness."

"The emperor has already requested the wording for the announcement, and in our kingdom, it is customary to wait a year before adding new consorts," Shi He revealed.

Li Jie endeavored to steady his voice, though Huang Yiming noticed his trembling hands. "Counselor Shi He, could you please be more direct in conveying your message?"

"Your Highness," Shi He bowed slightly, his desire to depart evident. "What I mean to say is that if your friend's name is not included on the harem list promptly, it will be excluded for an entire year. If his purpose is solely to protect you, then he should have no qualms. However, if he harbors any ulterior motives, I fear it will be too late..."

Thoughts on Shi He?👀😂

(Honestly what's with me and my obsession with these (😂👀) emojis

And here's the last part of chapter one (took me long enough)😆🤣

Coming here, what're your thoughts about this story so far?