Lover Number 4.5

The remainder of the banquet passed by in a hazy blur. With the Emperor's decree weighing heavily on his mind, Li Jie was too overwhelmed to even notice the gazes of the fifteen chosen men. He engaged in conversations, solidified alliances, and fulfilled his expected duties flawlessly, as was his role.

Everything was going according to the Emperor's plan. Amidst the rapid succession of conversations, one exchange stood out in Li Jie's mind.

Shortly before the end of the banquet, a woman with an air of nobility approached Li Jie, introducing herself.

"Your Highness," the woman smiled, her smile dripping with falseness. Li Jie could practically hear the underlying animosity. "I am Camille. I was hoping to have a moment of your time."

Li Jie recognized the name. Camille Lorraine Medici, the European representative from the powerful and influential Duke of the northern lands.

"Miss Medici," Li Jie greeted her with a smile, adopting an innocent demeanor. Han Yasheng had warned him about people like her. You could discern their true intentions from their expressions and smiles.

"If it's a private conversation, shall we walk over there, Your Highness?" Camille pointed to a corner where Li Jie had spent most of his time engaging in conversations. "It's nothing of great importance, though."

If my father wanted this many conversations, he should have held the banquet elsewhere, Li Jie thought to himself, feeling a tinge of annoyance at having to leave the comfort of his chair—the only respite in this banquet.

"Miss Medici, how may I assist you?" Li Jie smiled as they reached the designated spot, looking at Camille, whose fake expression remained unchanged.

"Please drop the honorifics, Your Highness," she said, pretending they were long-lost friends. "Just Camille will suffice."

Li Jie, well-versed in the art of politics, understood that she had a personal request or ulterior motive.

"Very well, Camille," Li Jie replied, dropping hints about his own thoughts on the matter. "How may I be of assistance to you?"

"I insist, Your Highness," Camille smiled bashfully, though there was no genuine bashfulness in her eyes. Li Jie knew she had received his message. "Camille will do. After all, what am I compared to the Crown Prince of such a great Empire?"

She's playing my game, Li Jie mused, more amused than anything else. And she knows that I know.

"Very well, Camille," Li Jie responded, engaging in a manner of conversation he had never experienced before. Usually, he led the discussions when it came to matters of politics. However, with Camille, they stood on equal footing.

"You may also call me Li Jie," the young prince offered, sensing Camille's desire for a more direct approach.

"Then, Li Jie," she quickly seized the opportunity. Li Jie was taken aback by her straightforwardness but admired her lack of hesitation. "I couldn't help but wonder, during this eventful banquet, if you are truly what they say you are."

Even straightforwardness had its boundaries, Li Jie thought.

"What do they say I am?" Li Jie could always decipher the thoughts swirling in another person's mind during political conversations.

"A homosexual," Camille uttered the word, and for a split second, her expression shifted in a way that Li Jie, as the Crown Prince within his kingdom and palace, had never encountered. Or perhaps he had, but no one had dared to be so brazen to his face.

"Indeed, everything has been expedited on my part, but the truth remains unchanged," Li Jie admitted, his hands trembling for what seemed like the hundredth time that day. "May I ask why you're inquiring about this?"

"But you already have, haven't you?" Camille chuckled, as though she had just shared the funniest joke. "It's just... I had assumed it was a means to strengthen alliances and forge closer bonds."

"I fail to see why you would assume that, but it is not the case," Li Jie replied, his smile tightening. He had become too accustomed to people who either liked or respected him, leaving him unprepared for the general sentiments that governed many others.

"I was merely curious," Camille shrugged, feigning nonchalance. "I would hate to become an enemy of yours."

"Of course not," Li Jie assured her, though his mind veered toward the opposite sentiment.

After a few more words, Camille excused herself and walked away. Li Jie, disregarding any concern for his father's reaction, immediately left the banquet and sought refuge in his secluded spot.

As the sun began to set, Li Jie sat on a bench beneath his willow tree, shielded from the prying eyes of the outside world—a world not yet ready for his truth, a truth thrust upon him without his consent. It was a truth that the world would never truly accept.

"Li Jie?" a familiar voice called out, parting the willow's leaves as a hand brushed them aside. "Why..."

Huang Yiming's steps faltered as he beheld the scene unfolding behind the willow in a garden that rarely received visitors at this time.

"Huang Yiming," Li Jie smiled through tears, his eyes bloodshot and his face streaked with anguish. "Ge..."

Huang Yiming stood rooted to the spot, unsure of what exactly was transpiring. However, he had seen the expression on Camille's face when she spoke to Li Jie.

Without saying a word, Huang Yiming approached and enveloped the weeping boy in his arms, providing the only solace that was possible in this situation—the solace of silent understanding.

Huang Yiming didn't say it would be okay. He didn't say it was okay.

Because it wasn't okay. It was Li Jie's most personal truth, exposed to the world without his consent.

And it wouldn't be okay, because it was a one-time moment stolen from him.

All of the emotions that had been suppressed came crashing down upon him in that moment.