Lover Number 7.4

PART ONE OF DOUBLE UPDATES~

"You..." A sensation akin to a heart being squeezed gripped Li Jie as he gazed at Hong Tao, who seemed like a reflection of himself, albeit a stronger one.

"Get up," Li Jie spoke softly, a genuine smile on his face, as he bent down to assist Hong Tao to his feet. "Let's find a more secluded place where we can talk openly."

Hong Tao had braced himself for a far less forgiving reaction from the crown prince, and his surprise was evident as he looked up at Li Jie.

Without further words, Li Jie led the way toward the Imperial Garden. Initially, he considered taking Hong Tao to his private quarters, but he feared it might be misinterpreted, so he opted for a more neutral location.

During their silent walk, Li Jie took the opportunity to organize his thoughts, contemplating what he should convey to Hong Tao. By the time they reached a quiet bench, he was ready to broach the subject.

"I don't want this any more than you do," Li Jie confessed, offering a smile as he spoke.

His words caught Hong Tao off guard.

Li Jie had considered that Hong Tao might share their conversation with others, but he chose to place his trust in people.

He reasoned that even if Hong Tao were to spread rumors, who would believe them? Li Jie could simply spend more time with his harem to dispel any misconceptions.

So, he decided to be honest with Hong Tao, recognizing that the situation, no matter how challenging, inherently favored him, the crown prince.

"You don't?" Hong Tao exclaimed in surprise, momentarily forgetting formalities in addressing the crown prince. Li Jie's lack of concern over this lapse in decorum reassured him.

Li Jie's grin widened. "I loathe this situation," he admitted, an undertone of frustration in his voice. "I loathe it so profoundly that if I were granted the opportunity to start anew, I would never have embarked on such a disastrous plan."

"Then you..." Hong Tao hesitated, uncertain about how to articulate his thoughts, fearing he might inadvertently cross an unspoken boundary. "I mean..."

Li Jie anticipated his unvoiced questions, his grin tinged with a simmering resentment that lay beneath the surface. This was the first time, aside from moments shared with Han Yasheng and Parsa, that he had permitted his inner turmoil to manifest so openly.

"I understand what you mean," he acknowledged. Hong Tao's presence and their shared circumstances seemed to foster a sense of kinship, an understanding that he could be candid with this young man. "And your answer is yes."

Hong Tao, who was not typically inclined toward political scheming, sensed the crown prince's intentions with remarkable clarity. Instead of being overwhelmed by anxiety, he felt an overwhelming sense of relief.

"Li Jie..." Hong Tao dropped his pretenses, now that he knew where he stood with the crown prince. "I'm in love with another man, and we've been in a relationship for over five years. My father discovered our connection, and just before he could enact any punishment, news of your harem reached our ears. He seized upon this situation as an ideal opportunity."

Hong Tao continued, his voice a mixture of earnestness and resolve. "He told me that by collaborating with you, we could amass power and I could openly be with a man. But, as you likely understand, it's not solely about being with a man; it's about being with the man I love."

He pressed on, his sincerity unwavering. "Thankfully, I had enough influence and loyal allies to conceal my beloved before my father could harm him. But I was powerless to prevent this situation.