Lover Number 5.1 - The First Week Pt. 1

I'm going to give y'all many updates soon and I'm expecting comments T~T

Everything passed by in a blur, and soon the entire kingdom was aware of the crown prince's harem of men. The Emperor's wishes had been fulfilled, and the people began to divert their attention from the news of the rebels.

Conversations about the crown prince's personal life became prevalent, and although people refrained from speaking ill of the imperial family, the crown prince's orientation wasn't met with a favorable response.

"I expected as much," Li Jie remarked after one of his subordinates from the Orphic Order, their secret organization known only to the Huang siblings and Han Yasheng, informed him about the spreading gossip in the kingdom.

"Your Highness," Alfredo said, appearing conflicted. "Shall we spread alternative rumors to counteract the current ones?"

"That won't be necessary," Li Jie waved his hand dismissively. "But if Lydia has any creative ideas, tell her to keep them in reserve for now."

"Your Highness," Alfredo paused, unsure of how to express his concerns.

"I'm fine," Li Jie smiled, but when he saw the expression on Alfredo's face, his smile faded.

"Your Highness, we are your loyal subordinates," Alfredo began. "Yet, even with our positions, you still can't deceive us."

"Unfortunately, that is true," Li Jie sighed, this time with a genuine smile.

"Unfortunate on the surface," Alfredo said. "But fortunate inside. We all worry about you."

"I will be fine," Li Jie paused once more. "Alf, this matter must remain within the Orphic Order."

"Your Highness?" The western boy appeared shocked. "Even...?"

"Beyond everyone's hearing," Li Jie insisted. "Including the Huang siblings and our nanny."

"Of course, Your Highness," Alfredo quickly composed himself. Li Jie was the only one who could evoke such emotions from him on a whim.

The same applied to everyone in the Orphic Order, as they were all gathered and trained by the crown prince from the slums.

"I am planning to seize the throne," Li Jie revealed.

Silence filled the dimly lit, seemingly abandoned cabin. Li Jie allowed Alfredo time to process the information as he contemplated his plan.

However, it took less than a minute for Alfredo to respond, his tone firm and sincere.

"I speak for everyone in the Order when I say that we will support you no matter what."

A different side of Li Jie emerged as he smiled, a more resolute and calculating side.

"How do you propose we achieve that, Your Highness?" Alfredo inquired, as if discussing taking a toy from a child rather than seizing the throne from an Emperor.

"I need to identify those who will support me willingly," Li Jie smirked. "If we need to offer them incentives, then so be it. And if necessary, we eliminate those who stand in our way."

"To the netherworld?" Alfredo smirked in return.

"Who do you take me for?" Li Jie shrugged. "Thoroughly investigate every household, from the heads of the families to all the servants."

"I will ensure a comprehensive investigation of each one," Alfredo nodded, his determination unwavering.

"Spread rumors about me potentially taking over the throne once you have conducted your investigations. But make sure the rumors are whispered and not too overt."

"Shouldn't we take action against those who oppose you beforehand?"

Li Jie paused, contemplating his options once again.

"Not necessary," Li Jie replied. "Just ensure that my father remains unaware of any such rumors."

"Whispered rumors, understood."

"Whispered rumors," Li Jie confirmed once more. "However, I require the support of the Jiang family. Make sure they hear favorable things."

"There are no unfavorable things to say about Your Highness," Alfredo smirked.

"A flattering remark. Baozhai must have taught you well," Li Jie chuckled. "Consider yourself deserving of a raise."

"I didn't realize flattery would yield such rewards," Alfredo laughed. "Will I receive more if I praise you further?"

"Don't push your luck," Li Jie chuckled. "Anyway, I need my father to remain oblivious. Surround him with various rumors about me, be they good or bad."

"That's simple. It's a matter of bribing," Alfredo shrugged. "The son of the Jiang family, isn't he part of Your Highness's harem?"

"Yes," Li Jie nodded. "If I'm fortunate, I can win his support without having to engage in intimate relations."

"Does... Yiming know about this?" Alfredo realized that Li Jie would go to great lengths to achieve his goals when he mentioned luck.

"I thought I had more time," Li Jie rubbed his temples. "I was foolish. I must take control or risk losing the little control I have left."

"I understand," Alfredo nodded. "But Your Highness, I can't help but ask, are you certain you won't regret this?"

"I may regret certain choices," Li Jie smiled, a bittersweet taste in his mouth. "But it is beyond my power to change them. Among the choices that I do have agency over, I won't regret anything I do to protect my people. Whether it's my household, my maids, or my subordinates, I won't."

"Your Highness..." Alfredo sighed, aware that circumstances often leave one with limited choices, yet still...

"Your Highness..." Alfredo repeated. "You're the Emperor's only child. Won't he willingly pass the throne to you?"

"He will," Li Jie nodded. "But only after his demise, and even then, the court will likely intervene, plunging everything into chaos."

Li Jie paused, feeling guilty for speaking about his father in such a manner. But at this moment, he wasn't discussing his father; he was discussing the Emperor, just as the Emperor had made decisions without considering his son's wishes.

Li Jie was talking about the Emperor.

And the Emperor was talking about the crown prince.

"I need the crown," Li Jie closed his eyes, a headache creeping in. "Inform the Order to prepare."

"And what about the weapons?" Alfredo asked cautiously.

Li Jie hadn't given it much thought, although he should have. The idea of taking lives for his cause was something he preferred to avoid, and yet...

"The weapons as well," Li Jie sighed. "We're uncertain when we'll need them, but the time won't be far off."

"Understood," Alfredo nodded.

"Alf," Li Jie stood up, and Alfredo followed suit. "I'm confiding in you because you're my confidant, and I trust you."

"Your Highness?"

"I did something I shouldn't have, but..."

"Li Jie?" Alfredo used his name when he saw the expression on the boy's face.

"The rebels... they belong to my faction."

New character, scene skip, what do you think?
PS I'm dying from many sudden headaches
༎ຶ‿༎ຶ