Lover Number 4.6

"Li Jie," Huang Yiming finally broke the silence as Li Jie began to regain his composure. "Do you want to know what Baozhai and I call you behind your back?"

Li Jie sniffled, raising his red eyes from his friend's embrace. "I'm not sure I want to, Huang Yiming."

"Don't worry," Huang Yiming chuckled, running his hand through Li Jie's silver-white hair. "It's nothing derogatory, I promise."

Curiosity piqued, Li Jie played along, knowing that Huang Yiming was trying to lift his spirits. "Okay, tell me then. What is it?"

"Nuan Nan," Huang Yiming said with a silent laugh, observing the grimace on Li Jie's face. "What? You don't think it suits you?"

Li Jie burst into laughter, momentarily forgetting his troubles. "Sunshine boy? Seriously?"

Huang Yiming nodded with a smile. "Well, we've never said it to your face until now."

"Don't do that," Li Jie said, a slight frown on his face, but his eyes showed he was entertained.

Huang Yiming realized he should have said more. He knew Li Jie needed distraction, but he also knew their time together like this would be scarce after today.

Their stolen moments were precious, for the Emperor had effectively anointed Li Jie as the imperial prince through his efforts at the banquet. As Li Jie conversed with the representatives, forging alliances between their kingdoms, the Emperor sat idle, engrossed in discussions with his officials.

It was an implicit announcement that Li Jie would soon assume the Emperor's role. Additionally, with the harem now established, he would require an Empress—albeit, another Emperor—by his side.

"Ge?" Li Jie waved his hand in front of Huang Yiming, breaking him out of his reverie.

"Sorry," Huang Yiming smiled apologetically. "But Li Jie, can I ask what the Emperor said to you earlier?"

Li Jie tensed, averting his gaze. "I... He said I have to spend nights with the members of the harem."

"What!?" Huang Yiming exclaimed, rising to his feet. "Tell me this is a joke. He can't subject you to that!"

"Ge, please be quiet," Li Jie glanced around anxiously. "It's the Emperor we're talking about! What if someone overhears us?"

Huang Yiming's frustration and anger were evident, his composed demeanor shattered. "Li Jie, this is unacceptable. I won't let that sorry excuse of a father do this to you!"

Li Jie had never witnessed Huang Yiming so incensed and impassioned. His friend's heartfelt concern meant the world to him.

"Gege, thank you," Li Jie sighed, his gaze dropping. He acknowledged his father's imperfections; nobody was perfect. "But—"

"No," Huang Yiming interjected firmly. "I know what you're thinking, but 'but' isn't the right response."

Li Jie paused, a look of confusion crossing his face.

"Li Jie, look at me," Huang Yiming gently cupped Li Jie's cheeks, guiding his gaze into his eyes.

"Everyone has flaws, that's true," Huang Yiming continued, oblivious to the blush that tinted Li Jie's cheeks. "But some have more pronounced ones."

"A person who loses their temper and strikes their child once has a flaw—a human flaw. People can lose their temper and do something regrettable, but they learn from it. They feel remorse and make amends."

"But someone else hits their child in anger. They apologize, expressing remorse for their actions, yet they repeat the behavior. Again and again. Each time, they apologize sincerely, but they make no effort to change. They don't stop."

"Losing your temper occasionally, that's a human trait. It's both a flaw and a quality. Some people learn from it, while others don't."

"Your father has a flaw, Li Jie. Don't brush it off so easily! Stand up and fight. Don't surrender just because you think you're obligated to love him as your father. Yes, he exhibits human qualities, but he's also tearing your life apart. He's stripping away your rights and freedoms. Fight, for heaven's sake! Learn to say no!"

Huang Yiming's words hung in the air, the weight of his conviction resonating with Li Jie.

Huang Yiming's breathing grew heavier, his eyes darkened with anger directed toward the Emperor.

"I never told you this, did I?" Li Jie suddenly appeared depressed, his blue eyes losing their shine. "I did fight."

"What...?" Huang Yiming didn't expect to hear that. Even as children, Li Jie always complied with his father's wishes.

With the Empress's frequent absence, Li Jie sought his only available parent's approval and attention. The Emperor granted both, but it resulted in his son's suppressed personality and his inability to stand up for himself.

"Surprised, aren't you?" Li Jie looked away. "I surprised myself, and my imperial father too. When he told me I would need a harem."

Huang Yiming remained silent, urging Li Jie to continue with his gaze.

"A month before the news was announced in court, he told me about it. And I told him I don't have feelings for women in that way. You know what he said? He said, 'Even better.'"

It took me a lot of courage to speak up. The fear I felt was overwhelming. I was terrified, ge. But when he responded positively, I grew even more scared—scared of myself mostly.

I felt disappointed in my imperial father. That scared me. That feeling. He prioritizes his kingdom over everything else. I couldn't expect more from him. He's an Emperor before he's a father.

I am a prince—a crown prince—before I'm a human capable of getting hurt. We've been experiencing rebel attacks, you know? I'm what distracts people from that reality and helps him manage his lack of judgment in selecting government officials for cities.

Even when he shared his plan, I never thought he would actually go through with it. I never truly considered it until he revealed it to everyone in court without informing me first.

I fought that day, Ge. I refused, I shouted, I threw things I knew he cherished, even though it wasn't like me. I cursed and begged in the end. I begged, cried, and screamed, but he simply told me that I would understand. Then he instructed Counselor Shi He, whom he trusted, to take me away.

He told everyone I was ill as I stayed in my room for a week, and perhaps I truly was sick. I can't recall how I endured those days.

I never told anyone, but I was once in a relationship with a boy. I cared for him. He hurt me, not profoundly, but he did.

And I loved someone, ge. I love someone. But I can't pursue it. He can't either. We can't.

In that moment, Huang Yiming understood everything.

He finally comprehended the depth of his friend's struggles and the love that had silently grown between them.

Under the moonlight, Huang Yiming knelt on the ground, cradling Li Jie's face in his hands.

They sat there in silence, no tears left to shed. But the unspoken words echoed loudly between them.

I'll protect you, Yiming thought. No matter what it takes.