Lover Number 3.5

As Li Jie passed by the maids, he overheard their gossip. Uncertain of their intentions, he slowed his pace to listen.

"I can't believe our prince is gay!" one maid exclaimed with enthusiasm. Li Jie wondered whether it was a positive or negative remark and decided to linger a little longer.

"I know, right?" the other maid giggled. Li Jie remained unsure if they were mocking him or merely engaging in their usual gossip. "I can't wait to see the harem men! I heard that most of them are already here!"

His heart raced at the realization. Could it be true?

"Shit, really?!" Maid number one expressed her surprise. "Ugh! I already hate them though!"

"Shh!" Maid two quickly hushed her. "What if someone hears?! We'll be in trouble!"

Li Jie, torn between leaving to avoid potentially hurtful conversation and the curiosity that held him there, opted to stay a little longer.

"Don't shush me!" Maid one snapped angrily. "I swear, if anyone dares to harm my prince, I will chop off their head! Ugh! Those bastards all want the crown!"

"That's not a secret," Maid two agreed. "But I overheard two council members talking, and it seems like General Shi He and the son of the Huang residence will also be there."

"Oh my freaking god!" maid one squealed, causing Li Jie to stifle a silent chuckle. "It could be enemies to lovers! Ahhhh, so cute!"

"Shut up," Li Jie heard maid two playfully slap maid one's arm. Though he knew their interactions were based on a close friendship, having witnessed it between Huang Baozhai, Li Jie understood their dynamic.

"My prince deserves someone better!" Maid two declared. "That moody—okay! I won't say it! Stop poking my rib! And I prefer childhood scenarios! My sweet highness should be with someone sweet to him, like Huang Yiming. They'd make a perfect couple!"

Me and... Yiming-ge?! Li Jie's mind raced with surprise and intrigue.

"Let's wait and see," Maid one suggested. "There might be others who are even better suited. Ultimately, our prince will make the choice. He may see things we can't."

"My sweet prince!" Maid two whined. "I still remember when he helped me when that bastard ex-counselor tried to harass me!"

"He's helped a lot of people, don't take it to heart!" Maid one replied with an indiscernible tone. "And I bet he's helped me more than he helped you!"

...jealousy?

Li Jie quickly concocted a plan, making some noise to alert the maids that someone was approaching. As they fell silent and resumed their cleaning, Li Jie headed towards them, ready to engage in conversation.

Following the instructions, the maids maintained their focus on their tasks, avoiding direct eye contact with the royalty. They continued their duties while bowing respectfully.

Li Jie's face brightened with a smile, a rare sight for that day, as he addressed the maids, "May I have a few moments of your time?"

Blushing deeply, the maids exchanged glances and ceased their work, bowing together as they spoke in unison, "Long live the empire's bright star."

Li Jie understood the astonishment in their eyes as maid one stumbled through her words, "Is your highness serious about having personal maids?"

Aware of their surprise, Li Jie acknowledged the rarity of a low-ranked maid being abruptly promoted to a personal maid of a royal family member, without any prior preparations or investigations, especially coming from the prince himself. Being part of the personal maids' group held great pride, particularly since Han Yasheng was the only one serving as such.

Nevertheless, Li Jie sensed that these two maids would prove helpful and loyal in the future. They appeared to be individuals who relished fresh gossip, a trait that could aid him significantly. Since palace maids were often overlooked as potential threats, high-ranking officials paid little attention when they were present during important discussions.

"I do," Li Jie responded after a brief pause, his smile unwavering.

The maids exchanged glances once more, still at a loss for words. They had revered Li Jie since their assignment to the main palace, and now, their revered one was extending an invitation to them!

Observing their expressions, Li Jie briefly contemplated the risks and dangers associated with being personal maids. These individuals possessed intimate knowledge of the Imperial household and were chosen because of the care that Imperial family members had for them. There had been instances where personal maids were taken hostage, exploited as leverage to attain their captors' desires from the Imperial family.

Feeling a touch of anxiety, Li Jie swiftly added, "If you don't wish to accept, that's perfectly alright!"

Maid one immediately deepened her bow, determined not to let the crown prince change his mind. "I would love to!" she exclaimed, her voice tinged with a deep and unfamiliar sense of pride, being asked in the heart of the main palace.

Maid two, sharing similar thoughts as her companion, beamed with joy and echoed the sentiment.

Unbeknownst to Li Jie, he had been holding his breath until the rush of air filled his lungs, restoring color to his cheeks.

Preparing to respond further, Li Jie's attention was abruptly drawn to the familiar footsteps of his father and his escorts approaching. Not wanting his father to disrupt the flow of the conversation, Li Jie hurriedly addressed the maids, "I must go now, but I will contact both of you soon."

Aware of the informality typically expected when conversing with maids, Li Jie still felt uncomfortable using such an informal tone with individuals he hardly knew.

"Also, may I know your names?" he asked, conscious of his father's impending presence and eager to conclude the conversation.

The maids perceived the crown prince's restlessness and promptly responded, matching his urgency.

"Zhang Shu," maid two replied.

"Chu Hua," added maid one.