Lover Number 4.3

Sorry for the unannounced break
*hides in the corner*

Li Jie swallowed hard, his gaze averted, unable to believe that someone like him was now here, reduced to the status of a concubine. A bittersweet smile graced the boy's lips before the white-haired prince shifted his attention elsewhere.

They had crossed paths years ago, only to be torn apart a year later. Since then, Li Jie had buried their connection deep within his heart, confiding in no one. Though rumors swirled around Lance, Li Jie resolutely refused to entertain such thoughts.

"Son?" The Emperor's voice jolted Li Jie from his reverie.

"Yes, imperial father," Li Jie responded, donning his princely smile, tailored specifically for the imperial court.

"We await your lead," the Emperor spoke with a warmth that Li Jie had rarely witnessed.

Somewhere amidst his father's address, Li Jie had lost track of time. Now, it was his turn to initiate the banquet by raising his goblet and taking the first sip.

This customary act was intended to underscore the Emperor's profound regard for his son, showcasing the importance bestowed upon the imperial prince. Yet, Li Jie couldn't help but feel the weight of anxiety pressing upon his heart, creeping up his throat. For the first time in a long while, his heart raced not with the exhilaration of love, but with the burden of apprehension.

"Posture holds great significance for someone like you, commencing a banquet. It conveys respect from the crown prince, the heir to the throne, to the esteemed guests. While a wrong posture may not ignite a war, rumors are a different matter. Bow just enough, asserting your role as the host, but not too little, as it would diminish your standing. Your highness, every detail within the court carries weight, so ensure you navigate them wisely."

These lessons had been imparted to Li Jie long ago, but he had grown complacent after receiving praise for his aptitude. Lifting the cup to his lips, he executed a modest bow, struggling to recall the instructions ingrained within his memory.

Unbeknownst to the observers, the boy's hand trembled slightly, shielded by the folds of his sleeve. Li Jie downed the bittersweet wine, reminiscent of his true homeland, not the Capital. For a fleeting moment, he could pretend that everything was fine, that he was reunited with his grandparents.

His eyes closed briefly, a serene smile gracing his face as he gently set the cup down. When he opened his eyes, the genuine smile transformed into his courtly demeanor.

"All hail the sun of the empire!" echoed the Emperor's advisor. "All hail the radiant sun of the empire!"

In unison, the attendees followed suit, with the guardians of the Harem men bowing deeply, nearly at a ninety-degree angle, while the Harem men inclined only their heads. Though the waist bows of the Harem men were subtle, they remained perceptible to keen eyes.

Li Jie's gaze briefly connected with Huang Yiming, who stood alongside their guardian warrior, Mei Xiu. First, Mei Xiu noticed Li Jie and smiled warmly, before Huang Yiming met his eyes, nodding and offering a faint smile.

"You were magnificent," he mouthed, injecting a glimmer of brightness into Li Jie's day, calming his frayed nerves with a comfort only the Huang siblings could provide.

As the hall settled into a semblance of order, the Emperor commenced his primary speech. Meanwhile, Li Jie surveyed the room without truly meeting anyone's gaze, adhering to Han Yasheng's counsel, his steps guided by her instructions.

Initially, he had exuded an air of composure, but with each passing moment, anxiety gnawed at his core. Only two individuals within the Harem men noticed his distress.

Before he knew it, Li Jie found himself lost in the abyss of his own emotionless facade that had always terrified him. "I won't become like him," he silently vowed, desperately clinging to his identity. "I am better. I am more. This isn't me. Just a few more hours, and it shall crumble."

Lance's words echoed in his mind, their final encounter etched deeply within his soul. "No matter the extent of our freedom, true liberation remains elusive in our world. We can merely strive to expand the boundaries of our cage." Lance had met his gaze, promising to grant him the freedom of a bird.

But were birds truly free?

And one month later, Lance had departed from Li Jie's life.

"—For the sake of the Empire!" concluded the Emperor.

"For the sake of the Empire!" echoed throughout the hall, Li Jie's voice resounding louder than the rest.

Next update will have more dialogue...
Thanks for all the comments and votes everyone🥺✨