Extra - High Fever

Li Jie had been confined to his quarters, unable to venture outside in recent days. His body temperature remained persistently high, and even taking a few steps caused rapid breathlessness. His sore throat made it difficult for him to speak or eat normally.

Despite his deteriorating health, the fifteen-year-old boy refrained from voicing any complaints, not wishing to burden others. Nevertheless, he sensed his condition worsening with each passing day.

On the first day when he began feeling unwell, Li Jie feared his ailment might be contagious. Thus, he opted to stay indoors, claiming he had stayed up late studying and needed rest. It wasn't an entirely false excuse.

Han Yasheng, too, conveyed the same message to anyone inquiring about the crown prince's whereabouts, particularly the Huang siblings and the emperor.

The second day proved even more challenging for Li Jie. His eyes could barely stay open, and the faint light seeping through the covered windows felt piercing to his sensitive vision.

That day, he declared that he wasn't in the mood to meet anyone, a sentiment not uncommon for the crown prince on his bad days.

Han Yasheng relayed the same response to everyone, although the emperor, who had sent someone to inquire about Li Jie's presence in the garden, grew slightly suspicious of these repeated answers. Yet, he chose to remain silent, unwilling to burden or overwhelm his child.

By the third day, Li Jie struggled to draw a breath. His mind felt clouded by the pain emanating from his lungs, head, and throat.

When Han Yasheng knocked on his door to check if he was awake, Li Jie found himself unable to respond or devise an excuse, as he had not yet formulated one.

"Your Highness?" Han Yasheng knocked twice. "Your Highness, are you awake?"

Li Jie managed to open his mouth, producing a hoarse and feeble "Yes," but the sound barely registered in his own ears, let alone reaching the maid.

Han Yasheng knocked again, growing concerned. Li Jie always answered her call promptly, and she knew he would be up earlier than anyone else.

Each day, when Han Yasheng would knock on the crown prince's door, he would reply immediately, having risen hours earlier.

"Your Highness?" Han Yasheng's voice reached Li Jie, but his pounding headache prevented his mind from comprehending the words.

"Your Highness, if you don't respond, I'm afraid I'll have to enter unannounced!" Han Yasheng knocked once more.

Instead of growing irritated, as most maids would in such circumstances, Han Yasheng sounded genuinely concerned, aware that Li Jie was not one to ignore her or anyone like this.

When Li Jie failed to answer, Han Yasheng swiftly opened the door, only to be shaken to her core by the sight before her.

"Your Highness!" Han Yasheng rushed to the crown prince's side. "Are you awake? Can you hear me?"

Li Jie panted heavily, his face flushed but alarmingly pale. His eyes had lost their usual sparkle, appearing dull and filled with pain.

"Someone fetch the doctor!" Han Yasheng exclaimed, her voice trembling yet still resonating loudly enough for the maids to rush to the imperial physician's residence.

Three hours later, the physician finally managed to alleviate Li Jie's fever, breathing a sigh of relief.

He turned to address the emperor, who had been seated there since the moment he received the news, appearing concerned and exhausted.

"Your Majesty," the physician bowed, "His Highness will undoubtedly recover within a month, and his physical condition should not pose a significant concern."

"But considering how he suffered alone, refusing to seek help," the physician advised, "my best recommendation is for Your Majesty to move forward and grant him what he deserves."

The emperor gazed at his son's pallid face, his frustration evident. "Summon the empress immediately!"

This matter will be discussed more in the upcoming chapters😶