Chapter 4

"So? How was it?"

I felt Sally nudge my shoulder in the kitchen the next night, "the date with Levi? It was fine."

Sally sighed, "only fine?"

I shrugged, "yeah. However." I moved closer to her so we could talk quieter, "you know who was there though. Chris."

"What?! The coffee guy, Chris?"

I nodded, "yeah. He kept flirting with me, smiling from across the room. He said he wants to take me to dinner."

"Oh!" Sally squealed, "are you going to say yes?"

I shrugged, "I don't really know yet. I work most nights. The nights I don't I usually use to relax."

Sally sighed, "oh come on. Just going to keep pushing away any guy that's even halfway interested in you?"

I groaned, "can we not talk about it? Don't you have to go get to the front of the house?" I laughed as I saw her roll her eyes as she disappeared out of the kitchen.

**********************************************************

"You sit at the head of the table Shanna, it's your birthday after all."

I filed into a nice restaurant in downtown Boston with my family for my sister Shanna's birthday. I heard the place was good, but hadn't been able to make it out to try it before. So when Shanna said she wanted to go out, I suggested Alchemy. As I sat down, talking to my family I looked up to see my Kate flitting around wearing an apron. Did she work here? I stopped our waitress as she started to walk away. I pointed at Kate, "I'm sorry, but who is that?"

The waitress smiled, "that's Kathryn Harrington. She owns Alchemy and is the head chef. Would you like me to get her for you?"

I shook my head, smiling, "no. Maybe after we eat. Thanks." She said she worked most nights; the restaurant was hers. I chuckled quietly to myself as I looked back down.

"What's so funny? Do you know that woman?"

I looked up at my brother Scott, "no. Nothing." I pulled out my phone, texting her. >Have you thought more about having dinner with me? Or we can do lunch. I'd like to see you outside Tompkins' office.< I looked up to see her pulling out her phone, smiling as she bit her lip.

>I don't know. Are you saying you don't like our brief encounters and intense eye contact?<

I chuckled. >Oh I really do. I know a great restaurant downtown. Alchemy. Have you heard of it?< I looked up in just enough time to see her smile and let out a small laugh.

>I might have heard of it. I have to go. We'll talk later.<

I saw her smile as she disappeared back into the kitchen.

"No phones at the table Chris. Why are you smiling like a schoolgirl?"

I looked up at my brother before putting my phone away, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Right." Shanna laughed. "You only have that face when there's a girl you're talking to."

I rolled my eyes, "can we not talk about this now?"

********************************************************************

"Hey, Kate. There's a table that wants to see the owner of the restaurant."

I groaned as my waitress, Annie peeked her head into the kitchen.

"Is it a complaint? Because I'm not really in the mood."

Annie smiled, shaking her head, "I don't think so, no."

As I was about to walk out the kitchen, Sally came busting in.

"Do you know who is out there?"

I shrugged, "who?"

Sally squealed, "Chris Evans!"

I shrugged again, "who?"

Annie laughed, "that's the table that wants to talk to you."

I nodded, "okay?" I looked at Annie, "let's go." I took off my apron as I walked out of the kitchen. As we began to approach the table I saw the familiar blue eyes and I suddenly wonder if this was all a set up. I smiled at Chris as I saw him watching me approach, "good evening. Is there something I can help you with?"

Chris smirked as she approached the table. "I just wanted to offer my compliments to the chef."

I smiled as I looked around the table, "well I appreciate that. Are you guys celebrating anything?"

Chris nodded, pointing to Shanna, "it's my sister's birthday."

I nodded, looking at his sister and realizing he was sitting with his family. "Happy birthday love." I placed my hand on Chris's back, "I'm glad you guys enjoyed dinner. I look forward to seeing you come back." I looked back down at Chris and saw him smirking at me as I walked away. I grabbed Annie's arm, "get them some cake for her birthday on the house. Tell them it's from Kate."

Annie smiled and nodded.

As soon as I made it back to the kitchen I felt Sally grab my arm, "you know him?"

Sally nodded, "seriously? You don't know who Chris Evans is?"

I shrugged, "that's my coffee cup Chris."

Sally squealed, "what?! He's the one you met in the doctor's office."

"Yeah? I'm confused. Who is he?"

Sally sighed, "he's an actor. Captain America?"

"Oh." I nodded, "sure. I've never seen it though." I laughed at Sally rolling her eyes. "I'm sorry. I don't really get a lot of time to watch movies." I heard my phone ding and I pulled it from my pocket. >Can we talk for a minute?< I sighed, looking back up at Sally, "can you escort Chris to my office?" I watched her nod as she walked away.

I found Chris sitting on my desk as I entered my office, "did you know this was my restaurant when you chose to eat here?"

He smirked, "no I didn't. I saw you walking around when we arrived and asked our waitress and she said you were the owner."

I laughed, "so the texts?"

He nodded, "yeah. That was just me teasing. I'm sorry." He paused, bringing a hand up to her hair, "and I do enjoy the intense eye contact. I'm hoping for some actual talking. A meal?"

I sighed, "I don't know Chris. I'm not sure it's a good idea."

He shrugged, "why not?"

I chuckled, "I don't know. Because we both obviously have issues; both in therapy."

He laughed, "so? Everyone has issues. At least we're both working through them. Just give me a chance."

I sighed, looking at him for a moment, "what about the girl yesterday?"

He shook his head, "it was a set up. A bad one. And I'm really sorry about the closet."

I nodded, "yeah. I have a thing with closets. I'm sorry."

"Don't be." He took a step towards her as he heard her breath hitch, "you were right. It was a bit impulsive. But I have to admit, I didn't care to see you with another man."

I laughed, "is that so?" I brought my hand to his cheek, "I'll think about it. I have Monday and Tuesday nights off. The restaurant is closed then."

He nodded as she removed her hand, "okay. I'll get back to you. Next time I ask you out, say yes?"

I nodded as I laughed, "I will." I blushed as I felt him lean down to kiss me on the cheek before disappearing from my office.