Chapter 10

When I made it to the restaurant I found Levi in the kitchen doing prep, talking to Sally. "Hey. Can you guys both come to my office?" I sat at my desk as I waited for them. I stood up, smiling, "so I'm trying to do what you both have said, trying to get a life." I turned to Sally, "I need you take on a bit more responsibility as the manager."

She shrugged, "no problem." She looked at Levi and then back at Kate, "you can trust us with the restaurant Kate."

I nodded, "I know. Can you give Levi and me a moment?" I watched her nod and leave the office, shutting the door behind her, "in order for me to take a step back, we need a new head chef."

He sighed, "yeah. I know. Do you know who you're going to hire?"

I smiled, shrugging, "well. I was hoping you would like the promotion. You already know the menu."

"What? Are you sure?"

I nodded, "of course I am Levi. You can hire your own sous chef. And I'll need you to be in charge of the food inventory."

"Kate! Thank you!"

I laughed as he wrapped me in a hug. He pulled away slightly, placing his hand on my cheek.

"Are you happy?"

I nodded, "I am."

He nodded, letting her go. "Okay. Good. Thank you Kate. It really means a lot to me."

****************************************************************

"God, it smells good in here."

I laughed, letting Chris into my house. "You sound surprised."

He shook his head, "of course not."

I wrapped my arms around him, my lips urgently finding his as I felt him pull me to him. "I missed you."

He chuckled, letting her ago, "I would say so. I missed you too. Sorry I never got time to come to the restaurant."

I shrugged, "don't worry about it. I got Levi set up as my head chef and I've been helping him hire a sous chef so I can step back."

He shook his head, "you didn't have to do that for me."

I watched him for a moment, "I didn't do it for you. I did it for me. I'm doing it for me. And the last time we talked about it, you seemed happy about it."

He smiled, "yeah. Of course I am. It would be nice to be able to see you whenever we want."

I nodded, "right." I couldn't help but feel like he was keeping something from me. I sighed, grabbing his hands, "we're fighting the urge to run, yes?"

**************************************************************

I nodded and laughed, "we are. I'm sorry." She shook her head and I felt her arms wrapping around me as I rested my head on hers.

"It's fine. Just need to keep talking. Okay?"

I looked down as I saw her look up, "yes." I kissed her on the forehead before we sat to eat dinner. After we ate, we sat down to watch a movie. I found I couldn't pay attention as I began to think about how fast things were moving. We hadn't had sex yet, but the feelings I had for her were stronger than what I would normally for a girl I've only known for a little more than a month. I knew she was right about just trying to make sure we talked to each other.

"Chris."

I looked down to see her looking at me, "yeah?"

She laughed, "I can hear the wheels turning. You feel different."

I sighed, "I know. I'm trying. Okay?"

*******************************************************

I pulled away from him, sitting up. "What's going on here? Are you upset we haven't had sex yet?"

He shook his head, "no! I told you, whenever you're ready. We haven't known each other for that long. It's fine."

I shrugged, "okay. Then what is it? Are you regretting being with me?"

He groaned, "no. Of course not." He placed his hand on her cheek, "quite the opposite. I'm not used to feeling this way about someone this fast."

I shook my head, "this way how?"

"I don't know. But, hey. I want to be here with you Kat. It's only been a few days and I missed you, so much."

I nodded, leaning towards him, "me too." He responded with his lips on mine and he had me on my back under him on the couch. I moaned as I felt his hand travel up my thigh to under my shirt. He didn't stop at my waist this time as I felt his hand on my breasts.

He pulled away, sitting back up, out of breath, "I'm sorry."

I shook my head, "don't be. I didn't push you away. Are you going to spend the night?"

He nodded, "if it's okay. I have to say, I've missed your head on my chest."

I smiled, snuggling to him on the couch, "me too Chris."

**************************************************************************

I woke up in the morning alone in my bed. I found a note on the pillow from Chris.

My brother called. He needed my help with something.
I'll see you this afternoon.
Vanilla Latte ;)
-Chris

I read over the note a few times, not quite believing what he said. But as far as I was aware, he had never lied to me before so why should I think he has now? I knew he was having trouble working through his own issues. Normally I would try to get him to talk to me, but maybe he just needed space. I sighed, getting up for the day.