Chapter 13

I sighed, "thanks for coming with me Levi. I almost didn't come."

He smiled, "it's all good. You need to face him sometime Kate. It's been over a week."

I nodded, knocking on Chris's door for Scott's birthday party. I looked up as the door opened to see Scott, "hey. Happy Birthday. This is my friend Levi."

Scott smiled, "you could have let yourself in love."

I shook my head, "not after last time."

He groaned, pointing to Levi, "is that why you brought him? To make him jealous?"

I shrugged, "maybe. But Levi and I are only friends." I looked back at Levi and he smiled in agreement.

"Well Chris and Jaime are only friends too. I promise."

I looked up as we made it to the door of the back patio and I saw him talking with the same blonde girl from the piano, "looks like it." I turned back before he saw me, going into the kitchen where I found his mother flitting around, "Mrs. Evans. Can I help you with something?"

Lisa looked up and smiled, "please. Call me Lisa. And I'm glad you're here. Scott tells me my son is being an ass."

I laughed, "I'm just not sure we're right for each other. It's okay. It happens."

She sighed, shaking her head.

"Kat."

I looked at the ground before turning around to come face to face with Chris, "I'm here for Scott."

He nodded, "I know." He hesitated, looking at the ground before looking back up at her, "you brought Levi? Are you with him?"

I laughed, shaking my head, "not that it is your business, but no. We are just friends. I didn't want to come alone."

He shook his head, "Kat." He looked up at his mother as she left them alone in the kitchen. He turned back to Kate, taking a step towards her, "I miss you. And Jaime is just a friend. Yes, I flirted. And I was stupid. But we really are just friends. I'm sorry."

I shrugged, looking away from him, "it's fine. It isn't my business."

He slammed his hand on the counter, making her jump, "damn it Kat, look at me." He reached out for her but she pulled away, leaving him alone in the kitchen.

I found Levi on the back patio, sitting next to him. I saw him look up behind me.

"Did you talk to him?"

I shook my head, "sorta. Not really."

Levi sighed, "Kate. Come on."

I looked at him, "come on what?"

Before he could answer, people started to go inside to sing happy birthday to Scott. We got up, following everyone as I saw Chris on the other side of the room, watching me. When everyone finished, people grabbed cake and started to disperse. I watched Chris sit at the piano, still watching me as he began to play, singing.

I've been wishing on a star but I never could have imagined
I would land just where you are after all this lonesome traveling
Took one look in your eyes, reached out to hold your hand
This is when I realized what I could never understand
Do you want to be my one and only love?
So you wanna be my friend, so you wanna be my lover
With you I do confess I can't be one without the other
That was hard for me to say, I hope I said it right
Whichever, come what may, you see I need to know tonight
Do you want to be my one and only love?
Do you want to play these cards, do you want to lay them down?
Do you want to run away or do you want to stick around?
Do you want to be my one and only love?

I felt my face turning red as I felt everyone watching me. I felt my chest tightening as I left the room, going into his room and closing the door.

****************************************************************

I found Kate in my room, on my bed with her knees pulled to her chest, "you said I hadn't played for you."

She groaned, "yeah. Just you and me. Not in front of your entire family and friends. Declaring me as yours."

I sighed, "I was trying to apologize. What do I need to do Kat? I want you and only you."

She scoffed, "and Jaime? And any other girl you find when you're bored with me."

I groaned, pulling her legs from her chest to make her sit on the edge of the bed. I knelt in front of her, "no. I've never slept with Jaime, and I never will. I haven't slept with anyone since we starting dating Kat. I'm sorry if I made you think otherwise."

"You haven't?"

I shook my head, "of course not. I'm so sorry Kat." I rested my head on her chest as I felt her wrap her arms around me. I looked up at her, "I'm sorry." I stood up, leaning over her as I felt her pull my lips to hers. I pinned her under me on the bed as I heard her moaning softly.

*****************************************************************

I felt him hard on top of me as he positioned himself between my legs, his lips never leaving mine as his hand trailed up under my shirt. I brought my hands to his shirt, helping him remove it as I ran my hands along his chest. We both jumped when there was a knock on the door, forgetting we weren't alone in the house.

Chris laughed, sitting on the bed, "we'll be out in a minute!"

I sat up, "I'm sorry." I handed him his shirt as I watched him put it back on.

He shook his head, standing up, holding his hand out to her.

I grabbed his hand, standing up for him to wrap his arms around me, "I came over that night because I wanted to sleep with you Chris. I want you."

He groaned, "I want you too. I'm an idiot." He pulled away, looking down at her, "stay over tonight?"

I laughed, "you are." I brought my hand up to his cheek, "I'll stay the night if you promise to stop trying to sabotage us."

He chuckled, nodding, "I promise."