Chapter 9

I knocked softly on my bedroom door after everyone left and didn't hear anything so I opened it to see Kate standing with her back to me, about to put on a shirt of mine.

"Chris!" She turned around with the shirt covering her body.

I looked at the ground, "I'm sorry. I didn't hear a response." I start to leave the room but I noticed something on her back in the mirror, "what's on your back?"

Kate groans, shaking her head, "nothing. Get out!"

I don't listen as I close the bedroom door, making her turn her back to me. "Kat." I see little circle scars all along her back. I bring my hand up to her back, tracing them softly, "what are those." I hear her starting to cry softly, "Kat." I grabbed her shoulder, making her turn to face me.

She avoids his gaze, looking at the floor, "can I put the shirt on now?"

I nodded, turning away from her so she could.

"Okay."

When I turned back around she had on my shirt, covering her underwear. I could see her still avoiding my gaze as I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her to me. She seemed to tense up at first, but relaxed into my grip, not saying anything. "I know I said you could sleep in another room if you wanted, but stay with me. Please."

She pulled away, looking up at him, "why?"

I brought my hands to her cheeks, trying to wipe away the tears, "because I don't want to leave you alone Kat."

****************************************************************

I shook my head, "I'm alone all the time Chris."

He nodded, "I know. But you don't have to be. Please."

I nodded at him as I felt his hands in my hair, "okay." I crawled into his bed as he turned off the lights. He removed his clothes down to his underwear before crawling in beside me. I felt him put his arm up as I laid my head on his chest.

He brought his hand to her back, up under the shirt as he ran his fingers along her bare skin.

I sighed, tracing my fingers along his chest, "they're cigarette burns." I heard him let out a long sigh, to calm himself. I never had someone so protective over me. But I also hadn't let someone close enough to feel that way.

"I'm so sorry Kat."

"It's fine Chris. I'm over most of what happened."

"Right." He shook his head, "is that why you wouldn't swim?"

I looked up at him to see him looking at me, "yeah. I didn't want to answer any questions. Especially the first time I meet your family."

He nodded, "I get it." He rolled over so they were face to face, "what else?"

I looked down, away from him, "you already know more than most Chris. Can we just try to sleep please." I looked back up at him as I felt his hand on my cheek, "scared you away yet?"

He half smiled, shaking his head, "definitely not. I'm gonna kiss you now."

I giggled and nodded as he pinned me under him. I felt him bring his hand to my thigh as he watched me, trailing his hand up under my shirt to my waist, "Chris."

He nodded, hearing her soft whimper before feeling her hand on the nape of his neck as she pulled him in.

His body was warm and strong against mine as I felt his lips make contact, taking his time as he built the intensity. It made me cling to him as his insistent tongue parted my lips. He didn't have to search as my tongue found his as we both moaned, his lips sending wild tremors through my nerves. His body may have been on top of mine, but it was my body that sank into his and for the first time in my adult life, I felt safe with someone else. I probably would have let him go further, but I knew he was trying to be patient, respectful, as he laid back with us both out of breath. I looked up at him as he pulled me back to his chest. I wrapped my arm around him as he covered us with a blanket and I felt as if he never would let me go; and I'm not sure I wanted him to. It wasn't long before I was asleep on his chest; another first.

**********************************************************

I woke up in the morning to a grunt from Chris as Dodger jumped onto the bed on top of him. I realized I was still on his chest as I was suddenly assaulted with dog kisses.

Chris heard her giggling as he tried to wrangle Dodger, "I'm sorry. I'll be right back."

I watched him walk out of the bedroom with Dodger, coming back a few minutes later and crawling back into bed with me. "Good morning."

He smiled, laying on his side so they were facing each other, "morning Kat." He brought his hand up to her cheek, "how did you sleep?"

I smiled, "really well." I moved closer to him, "I like it here with you."

He nodded, "me too. I knew there was something different about you. I'm more comfortable with you than I ever have been with a woman, especially so soon." He chuckled, moving his hand to her waist, "honestly, I'm fighting every instinct to run for the hills."

I laughed, "me too. To all of that." I brought my hand to his cheek, "you make me feel safe."

"You are Kat."

His lips were on mine again, this time urgently as I heard him moan. I knew he was trying to hold back, but wanted me to know how much he wanted me as he pinned me under him again.

He pulled back, looking over her face, "we can take whatever pace you need."

I nodded, wrapping my arms around his neck, "I appreciate that. I should probably go though. I have to go home and shower and get to the restaurant."

He nodded, rolling to his back, "of course. When can I see you again?"

I stood up from the bed, "I don't know. I need a head chef so I can take a step back from the restaurant, and thus have more time with you." I watched him sit up and smile as I said it.

"I'd like more time with you. Do you know when you're going to get a head chef."

I smiled as I got dressed, noticing him looking at the bed as I did, "I actually have an idea about that. So I'll get back to you. Otherwise, Tuesday? Why don't you come over to my place." I crawled back onto the bed between his legs, "I'll make you dinner. Maybe you can spend the night?"

He nodded, tucking some hair behind her ear, "I'd like that. I'll see you then. Unless I start to miss you and show up at Alchemy for a visit."

I laughed, "I hope that you do." I leaned in for a kiss, moaning softly as he placed his hand on the nape of my neck, keeping my lips pressed firmly to his. I finally felt him let go as I stood up, "thank you Chris. For last night." I grabbed his face, kissing him once more before leaving.