Chapter 5

"Kathryn." I put my hand up when I saw her approaching the table. I stood up as I watched her make her way to me with a smile. She wore a long pink sleeveless floral dress with a belt. I pulled out her chair as she made it to the table. I wanted to kiss her but I decided to wait. "You look beautiful Kathryn."

She smiled as she sat, "Kate. Please."

I nodded, "what about Kat?"

She shrugged, "sure. Kat is fine."

"I'm glad you agreed to meet me for dinner." I saw her smile and blush, making me smile. It was obvious she was nervous like me. That was a new thing for me, I never got nervous on a first date. After we ordered drinks and food, I leaned towards her, "so you own Alchemy? I have to say, I've heard nothing but good things. And I'm glad we got to try it. Everything was great."

Kate nodded, "thank you! I really appreciate it. It is like my baby."

I laughed, "well it's really great. Have you always wanted to be a chef?"

"I decided it was what I loved when I was around 15 or 16. My foster mother at the time taught me how to cook. Really instilled the love for it then. So I graduated high school a year early and went to culinary school."

I watched her fidgeting with her napkin as she talked, "that's amazing. You were raised by foster parents?"

************************************************************

I took a drink to try and calm my nerves. "I've had a different foster parents over the years. I never stayed in one home for too long. The last one was the longest." I hesitated for a moment, highly aware of his attention. I wasn't used to anyone paying so much attention to me, "my parents died when I was 10. Car accident." I shrugged, "I'd prefer not talking about it right now."

Chris smiled and nodded, "sure. I'm sorry."

I shrugged and shook my head, "no. Don't be. Just not exactly a first date conversation. Maybe next time."

He smirked, "next time?"

I laughed, "we'll see." I was interrupted by the waitress coming with food. "I guess I should apologize. I didn't know who you were until my friend told me. To be honest, I'm still not completely sure. Obviously I've heard of Captain America, but I can't say I've seen any of the movies. I never really get much time for movies."

Chris shook his head, laughing, "no no. It's great actually. You not knowing who I am is actually perfect. At least I know you're here for me."

I smiled, "of course I am. I'm sorry you have to deal with women that aren't here for you. I was kind of shocked you approached me to begin with."

He chuckled, "why?"

I shrugged, "I don't know. I mean you've seen me coming out of the office in all sorts of states, including after crying."

Chris nodded, "yeah. So? And I've thought you were beautiful each time."

I blushed, shaking my head, "quite the charmer, aren't you?"

He laughed, shrugging, "maybe. Doesn't mean I wasn't being honest."

I shook my head again, "you have me at a disadvantage. You've paraded me in front of your family already."

"Well. They don't know you. Or that I was interested in getting to know you. Dating you."

I nodded, "and you're still interested in that? Even though you know I'm in therapy."

He shrugged, "why would that bother me? Does it bother you?"

"It did at first. Especially since we both have the same therapist." I chuckled, "at least I was able to complete my homework for the week."

He laughed, "oh yeah? I think I have too. Want to talk about it?"

I nodded, "I will. Tomorrow with Dr. Tompkins."

He laughed again, "fair enough. So you work every night at the restaurant?"

"Yeah. I'm supposed to be hiring a new head chef so that I can take a step back. Just be the owner. My friend is constantly telling me to get a life." I paused for a moment before continuing, "but I have a thing about relinquishing control."

He smirked, "good to know." He watched her for a moment, see her blush again, "You asked me about my date, you never told me about the guy you were on a lunch date with. Are you dating him?"

I laughed, shaking my head, "no. He's actually my sous chef." I hesitated, "you want me to be honest?"

Chris nodded, "always."

I sighed, "we've had strictly a just sex relationship. But he kept asking me out, so I thought I would give him a chance. But," I shook my head, "we don't really have anything in common. There's nothing there. It's kind of ruined the sex for me now."

******************************************************

I laughed, "good." I watched her laugh, her eyes twinkling. They were more grey today, making me wonder if that was the default when she was relaxed.

"Why good?"

I shrugged, "because I don't like the idea of you with another man."

She chuckled, "a little possessive, no?"

I laughed, "maybe." I leaned towards her, "but I'm getting a second date, and he isn't. Right?" I saw her blush as she bit her lip.

She nodded, "maybe."

I leaned back, "I'll take maybe. Can I take you home?"

********************************************************

I stood in front of my front door that Chris insisted on walking me to.

"Cute house. You actually don't live far from me."

"Really?"

He nodded, "yeah." He pointed down the road, "just a few miles." He turned back to her, "can I see you Tuesday next week? You cook all the time, let me make you dinner? Just don't judge my cooking."

I laughed, "you're cute. And sure. That sounds good."

He leaned his hand on the door next to her, "cute enough to kiss goodnight?"

I nodded, placing my hand on the nape of his neck, "you better." I heard him chuckle as he brought his other hand to my chin, lifting my lips to his. As his lips made contact with mine I felt him move his hand to my cheek, cradling it gently as he kissed me softly. I was almost disappointed when he pulled away.

"I'll see you tomorrow. Coffee?"

I giggled, removing my hand from his neck, "sure. Vanilla latte with almond milk."

He laughed, "you got it. Goodnight Kat."

"Goodnight Chris."