Chapter 15

Dr. Tompkins sighed, "okay so can you tell me why you guys wanted to come in together?"

Chris shrugged, holding Kate's hand, "we are both trying to break old habits."

I laughed, nodding. "He keeps running."

"And you keep pushing me away."

I rolled my eyes, "yeah yeah." I felt him squeeze my hand. I looked up to see him smirking at me. "I know. I'm sorry."

Dr. Tompkins smiled, "okay. Kate do you want to start with why you push him away?"

I sighed, "I don't know. I feel him flailing and I think, well that's probably how it should be. Constantly waiting for him to decide he doesn't want to be with me anymore."

Chris started to say something but Dr. Tompkins put up her hand to stop him, "why do you think that's how it should be?"

I looked at Chris and back at the doctor and shrugged, "I don't know."

"Yes you do."

I sighed, "because I have too much baggage coming into the relationship. Because he has this giant perfect family and I have no one but myself. That's how it's always been. Just me. He deserves someone that can give him more."

Chris shook his head, "can I say something?"

Dr. Tompkins nodded.

He turned to Kate to see tears starting to well in her eyes, "hey. First of all, my family is far from perfect and you know it. And you don't have to be on your own. And I don't want you to be. You deserve everything you want. I just need you to trust me."

I nodded, "I know. I'm trying. Every time I start to you seem to panic."

He groaned, "I know. I'm sorry. I'm trying too, and I will continue to do so as long I know you are too. We've come so far. You're sleeping naked with me. You let me touch your back. I know not to pull you into any confined spaces anymore."

I smiled, "you have. You've been really great since Scott's party."

He nodded, "you still haven't watched any of my movies yet though."

I laughed as I heard Dr. Tompkins laugh too, "I like this Chris. I don't care about that one."

"I know." He brought his hand up to her cheek, "that's why I love you."

I pulled my hand away, "what did you just say?"

He groaned, "I said I love you. I thought here would be the best place to say it for the first time."

I shook my head, "no you don't Chris." I felt my chest tightening as I felt them both looking at me.

Chris watched her for a moment before shaking his head, "nope. We aren't doing this."

I watched him sit on the table in front of me, placing his hands on my thighs.

"You don't have to panic love. I mean it. I know what you're thinking, that you're not worth it. That I'm being crazy. But you are worth it. And," he shrugged, "well I am crazy. But that doesn't matter."

I laughed, "you are."

He brought a hand to her cheek, "don't make me sing to you. I will."
🎵I got issues, you got them too🎵

I shook my head, laughing, "shut up. Why me?"

"Oh Kat. All you've done and accomplished and overcome. You're one of the strongest women I know. And you're beautiful and clever. And I know you don't need it, but I want to protect you. I want you to feel safe with me."

I nodded, leaning towards him, placing my hands on his cheeks, "you do make me feel safe Chris. I never felt safer with any man than I do with you."

He smiled, "good. I would never do anything to hurt you."

"I know." I laughed, motioning to the couch, "sit. Stop being dramatic."

He laughed, sitting back next to her.

Dr. Tompkins's looked at them both, "Kate, how do you feel hearing Chris tell you he loves you?"

I hesitated, "um. A little panicked. Like, how can he? We don't really know each other still. But I also know him well enough that he feels things easier and deeper than most. I guess I'm just most worried about hurting him."

"You won't." He grabbed her hand again, squeezing it as she looked up and smiled at him.

Dr. Tompkins nodded, "and why are you worried about hurting him?"

I shrugged, "because it takes me longer to feel things. To open up. Because I'm not used to anyone caring enough to try and break the walls."

Chris smiled as he started to sing again.
🎵One day I'm gonna lift the cover
And look inside your heart
We gotta level before we go
And tear this love apart
There's no fight, you can't fight this battle of love with me
You win again, so little time, we do nothing but compete
There's no like on earth, no other could see me through
You win again, some never try but if anybody can, we can
And I'll be, I'll be following you🎵

I shook my head, laughing, "the Bee Gees?"

He smiled again, "look, I don't need you to tell me you love me too. That isn't why I said it. I said it because I meant it and I wanted you to know that I'm not going anywhere. You'll say it when you're ready. All I need from you is that you try to let me in."

I nodded, "I am. Thank you Chris." I felt him bring his hand up to my cheek as a stray tear fell before leaning in to kiss me softly.

Dr. Tompkins leaned forward, "well I don't think there's anything else you guys need from me right now."

I looked back at her, "thank you."

She stood up, smiling, "I just expect an invitation to the wedding."

Chris and I stood up, laughing.

He shook his head, "let's not make her panic any further. Besides, you're the one that told me to stay away from her."

She shrugged, "sometimes I'm wrong. I'm glad I was."