Chapter 1

Hey Guys... 1st story!! It'll be alittle slow and kinda lame for the first 2 or 3 chapters. Bear with me. Enjoy!!:) Comment, Vote, message me!

I watched from a distance as my best friend watched his parents be lowered into the ground. Poor Dick, I thought, as I walked up deside him, placing a  tiny hand on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Dick." I whispered.

"S'Okay, I guess." We were silent for a moment. "I'll miss you..." he sighed.

"I'll miss you too." I agreed. We both knew he was leaving to move into a boys home in the city. He had no where else to go, and the circus couldn't afford to keep another orphan. That made me feel even worse. My little nine year old heart was crushed knowing that because they already had taken me on to work for my keep at the circus, they couldn't keep Dick. I was about to start crying before a kind looking man with dark black hair and blue eyes approached us, asking to speak with my sad friend. I knew from the knews that this man was Bruce Wayne, for he had paid for Dick's family's funeral. I watched for awhile until Dick walked away from the man, to the car that was to take him to collect his things. As I walked past the man to follow Dick, the man smiled at me. I went to Dick in the car.

"What was that all about?" I whispered as I stepped into the car after Dick.

"I don't have to go to a boys home anymore." he shrugged.

"Really?! That's awesome Dickie!!" I grinned. He shrugged again. "At least we canstay in touch! Best friends forever, Dick." At this he smiled.

"Yeah, forever. No matter what." he agreed.

-14 months later-

Finally! The day was here! Dick would be here to see the show for the first time since his parents died. At least the man who had killed them was brought to justice. Batman and a masked kid stopped him together. I'm sure that Dick feels good knowing this. I did my rounds feeding the animals, then changed into my new acrobat costume. Since the Graysons were all gone, I had taken up the acrobat spot of the show. I was no Flying Grayson, but I was alright, considering that Dick had taught me a thing or two when he was still around. We talk all the time, but lately, the phone calls got less and less frequent. Everytime we spoke, he sounded less like my best friend. More... depressed. More angry. And I didn't like it. So when he told me that he was coming, I literally lept for joy. And the best part of it all was that I was finally pulling my own weight in the circus. I got paid for my work and hoped that I could save up to go to Gotham University. It was hard for the past year or so without Dick and his family, because since i was an orpan, his family took me under their wing. Lately, I've had to grow up quickly, but I was just happy to see me best friend again. In the past year, I've discovered my love for science and technology, and have even managed to teach myself some chemistry and some advanced computer skills. Homeschooling myself was easier than I thought it'd be.

"Lexi! Get over here! You're on!" The stage organizer called. This was it. Time to show Dick what I could do. What can I say? I've got a little crush. I did my 3 minute show, and got a decent amount of applause, but all I wanted was to find Dick and give him a big hug. I searched the crowd, but decided to wait until after to find him.

As the people filed out of the tent, I stood outside the door, and I finally saw him in the masses. "Dick!" I yelled, pushing through the people. He turned and looked at me. He looked so... different. Darker, stronger... hotter. Ugh, stupid hormones.

"Dick..." I muttered as I wrapped my arms around his neck. He stiffened, and hesitanly hugged me back. When we let go of each other, I had happy tears in my eyes. "Dick, you look so much older! I have so much to tell y-"

"No." he said. His voice was the same, yet different. It was harder, more rough.

"Huh?" he looked so upset. I could see his eyes flashing with an emotion that I could only place as annoyance.

"I came here to tell you something. We can't be friends anymore." His face was blank and cold. He wasn't even looking at me properly.

"D-Dick, but... you said... friends forever." I stammered.

"Oh grow up Lexi. We were nine. I can't be friends with you. You're too weak. You can't take care of yourself. I can't associate myself with weaklings. Plus, you're just circus trash. Now, I'm the son of a billionaire. I can't talk to people like you. I'm sorry Alexia, but we really can't talk anymore. Don't call me. I've got to go. Just leave me be. " And with that, he turned on his heel and walked to the car that was waiting for him. My best friend had left me. And now, I was literally all alone. I wanted to cry, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I mean, what good would it do? He was gone, and he didn't want to be my friend anymore. That was that. Time to grow up. I scampered away to my trailer and changed into some Pjs, curled up on my bed, and fell asleep.

The next day, I found myself watching the news. I was seriously depressed and it was all I could do to keep my mind off of things. A news report on the Batman and his sidekick foiling a bank robbery came on, and I turned the volume up. Over the last year, I had been hearing more and more about Batman's 'Boy Wonder' but I had never actually seen a picture or video. So when they showed him swinging from a building on a rope, I dropped my remote. Unruly black hair was over his forehead, a slim yet muscular figure clothed in an armored body suit and cape. And his face showed that devilish smile that I hadn't seen for over a year. Even though his eyes were covered in a mask,I knew right away that Batman's Robin was indeed Dick Grayson. It all made more sense. Of course he didn't want to be my friend. He was THE Robin. Why would he need me? That made me want to prove myself to him. I could be just as good as him. I had to be. I had to get my friend back. That's when I decided to pick up a mask.