Chapter 25

November 25:

"Hey Dick it's... me. Call me back. Okay, bye."

"Hey Dick, it's me again. Please answer."

"Please, just call me back."

November 26:

"Hey, missed you at school today."

"Where are you you?"

"Dick, please just call me back."

"Dick, I'm tracking your phone. I know you're at home."

November 27:

"Dick, can we please just at least talk about what you saw?"

"Dick, why can't I Zeta into the BatCave?"

"DICK GRAYSON ANSWER TO GOD-FORSAKEN PHONE."

"Sorry for yelling. Dick, please just call me back."

That's how it's been for the past three days. No one has seen, heard from, or spoken to Dick OR Robin. He hasn't been to school or Mount Justice. When I had woken up the next morning, he was gone. And when I saw that picture on the floor, I knew that he knew. It was stupid and sloppy of me, but I hadn't been thinking straight. Or maybe I had been. I shouldn't have to hide myself from the person I loved, and who claimed to love me. Even though I knew that he didn't love me anymore, I still loved him. So that's why on November 27, I found myself in front of Wayne Manor, in the rain, at midnight, ringing the doorbell. Funny how the roles are reversed, huh?

"Ms... Grant?" Alfred answered the door.

"Hi..." I smiled sadly.

"Not to be rude, but I wish that I could say that you were welcome here."

I sighed, pushing my wet hair out of my face. "I need to see him, Alfred."

"I'm under orders not to let you in." he said, almost apologetically. "Besides. He needs time. I'm sorry."

I nodded. "Goodnight Alfred."

"Goodnight Ms. Grant."

"Call me Lexi, Alfred." I told him, turning to leave. He nodded, shutting the door. Alfred said that he was under orders to not let me in. He never said that I couldn't let myself in. I walked around the side of the and stripped off my baggy pant and raincoat, revealing the black unitard that I was wearing underneath, snapped on my utility belt, and secured the backpack that I had brought with me to my shoulders. From where I was standing, I could see Dick's window. His light was on, but I couldn't see him as I was too far down. But not for long. Pulling my grappling hook out of my belt, I zipped up to the third floor, which was one floor short of Dick's room. I looked up just in time to see him bedroom light go out.

"Damn." Just then, I noticed the security cameras. And the motion senors. "What's next Bruce, lasers?" I mumbled. "Clover CW5700 2.4GHZ Wireless Security System, not bad." Pulling out my wrist computer, I managed to hack the system without detection fairly quickly and climbed up to Dick's floor. I wrenched the window open, working silently in a way that only one under Batman's tutelage could. When I dropped down into his room soundlessly, the lights flipped on. I turned around to see Dick standing in the doorway with a bowl of grapes.

We stared at each other, neither one moving or making a sound. I used this time to inspect him. He looked normal, maybe a little sleep deprived, but fairly well for the most part. His gazed back at me, but I couldn't read his face. He blinked a few times, and walked around me, placing the grapes on his bedside table.

"I should've known better than to think that by simply not allowing you to enter through the front door would stop you." he said, his back still turned to me.

I sighed. "You're right. And I'm not leaving until we talk about this."

"What's there to talk about, Lexi?" He asked, turning around. The sound of my real name rolling off his tongue made my want to cry. I hadn't heard it in so long. "You lied to me. Why didn't you tell me?"

"Why? You really have to ask?!"

"Yes! Why didn't you just tell me?!"

"Oh I don't know... maybe because you made it very clear that you hated me on the day that you left?!" I snapped. His eyes seemed to soften, but it must have been a trick of the light.

"That's what you think?"

"Dick, that's what I know." I narrowed my eyes at him for a second, then relaxed them. I couldn't be mad at him, not really. "I don't blame you, Dick. I know that everything you said to me that day was true. I tried so hard to change it." I told him defeatedly. "I was so broken. And when I figured out that you were Robin, I trained and studied so hard, so that I could make you eat your words. When I enrolled at Gotham Academy, I got closer to you. I just wanted you to figure it out so I could rub it in your face. But after awhile, I realized that I didn't want revenge. I just wanted you back." Tears pricked at my eyes in the last sentence and I wiped them away quickly. "It didn't matter that you hated the real me. I didn't even care if you ever found out. After the other night, I wished that you wouldn't. But of course, you did."

"Lexi, you need to know why I really left."

"No, I already know." I said, waving my hand dismissively, cutting him off.

"You do?"

"You said it yourself. I'm worthless, and I can't take care of myself. I get it. You think lowly of me. I don't blame you. It's because of you that I feel this way about myself. But I don't blame you for only pointing out the truth."

"No, please let me explain. I-"

"I don't need to hear it twice, Dick!" I snapped, wanting nothing more than for him to stop talking. "I just came here to ask that we not let your feelings towards me get in the way of the team. I can't help it if you hate me, but I don't want to lose the rest of the team."

"Lexi, you don't understand-"

"I understand, Dick. I don't need your excuses. I'll be out of your hair. I'll stay out of your way in Gotham. You'll only have to work with me on missions with the team. " I started walking back towards the window. "Tell Batman that I won't be showing up for workouts anymore. I'll be working out with the Team and Black Canary from now on."

I was about to open the window when he said, "You can take the stairs you know..."

"If I'm lucky, I'll fall." I mumbled, but apparently he heard.

"Lexi, please don't do this."

"Don't worry Dick. I'm sure that even though you hate me, you don't want a death on your conscience. I'll try to be careful, for your guilt's sake." I climbed onto his window sill.

"How did you know?" He asked suddenly, causing me to turn around. "How did you figure out that I was Robin?" 

"How? I'm offended." I told him. "You didn't think that I would notice?"

"Notice what?"

"Everything about him just screamed you. His hair, his smile, the laugh. It was all you." I shook my head, turning back to the window. "Besides, some things just never change. Like the sight of a Grayson swinging from a trapeze. I took one look at you on the news. It was a video clip of you swinging down and saving the mayor. One look, and I knew." I shrugged the backpack off my back, tossing it to him. "I brought your homework. Goodnight Dick." I back flipped out of the window.

As I climbed back into my car, I looked back up at the house. "I'm done here."  I said to myself. But as I was driving away, I couldn't stop thinking that four worded, nine syllable phrase. I love you Dick.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Pic of Dick's bedroom on the side.

Heeyy guyysss!! COMMENT AND VOTE PLEASE! IT'S ALMOST OVER AHHH!! THEN THE SEQUEL! JUST A FEW MORE CHAPTERS!!