Chapter 14

-Dick's POV-

"And this is the back door." Wally finished. We had spent the past hour giving Fox a tour of the Cave. She showed no interest in what he was saying when he explained each one of his souvineers, instead  tuning him out and inspecting the place herself. I'm fairly sure that the only reason she stayed with us was either that she would end up lost, or she just didn't want to be rude and ditch us. She, Artemis, and Miss Martian seemed to get along well, and off course SuperBoy showed indifference. 

"He's like that with everyone." I explained when he brushed past her as she politely offered him her hand to shake. She shrugged.

"Whatever floats his boat." she brushed his rudeness off like it was nothing. Maybe to her, it was. I was so used to girls fainting at the sight of him, and it was refreshing to see a girl who could really care less. I had been so lost in my thoughts, that I hadn't even noticed when she and Wally wandered off., leaving me alone outside.

"I see you're mission went... smoothly." the gruff voice of Batmansaid from behind me. I knew he was there before he even spoke. Maybe it was that I had spent so many years working side by side with him, or maybe it was just his aura that you could feel when he walked in the room. Almost like it got twenty degrees colder.

"Yeah, even picked up a souviner." I snorted, not looking at him. I felt him move next to me, looking out on the horizon. 

"Who is she?" 

"No idea. I ran into her once back in Gotham when you were... otherwise occupied. She basically saved my life. Hadn't seen her since then until today. She just popped out of nowhere. Aqualad invited her to join the team." 

"Gotham? Why didn't you tell me about her before." 

"We weren't exactly on speaking terms. Plus, I wanted to do my own research first. There is literally nothing on her anywhere. Just rose up out of nowhere. I even searched people with her physical appearance. No matches."

"Fingerprints?" 

"Couldn't get any. Does it really even matter at this point? She's on the team, and we will most likely see her without her mask soon. It's no big deal. She helped us save lives today." He was silent for a few moments.

"Are you certain about where her aliegnence lies? Is she just another pawn of the Light?" 

"No way. I honestly think that she's just in for it for the kicks. But I'm also certain that she wouldn't turn on us. She kicked Joker's butt. I'm positive she's on our side." He pondered this.

"How would you feel if she... joined us?" 

"She's already on the team. Didn't I tell you that?" 

"No. I mean, in Gotham. Part of OUR team." he explained.

"Why? Don't you think the BatCave is crowed enough? It was bad enough when BatGirl moved in. I mean, I'm used to her now, but do you really want to train another rookie?" I honestly didn't mind, but did I really want another person on our team? What happened to the 'Dynamic Duo"? We used to work together like well-oiled machines. The 'Bat Family' was just getting less and less exclusive.

"From what I've seen from the footage of the mission, she's no rookie. Aqualad also tells me that it was her plan that was the cause of your success. Besides, if she's intent on fighting the good fight, she shouldn't do it alone without a mentor. I'd rather her doing it on Leauge terms, and when she wasn't needed on missions, on my terms." He did have a point.

"Whatever. It's your call, as always. Why even bother asking me?" I huffed, turning to leave.

"Dick, listen." I stopped in my tracks. "I know things between us have been... strained. But I'm willing to try and see things from your view. I understand where you're coming from, and I'm not going to stand in your way." he paused. "I'm sorry for the things that I said to you." Batman just apologized.