Chapter 17

"We should go back inside." I told Dick. We had been sitting outside for what must have been hours, and i knew that my parents were most likely worried. 

"Yeah, I guess." We stood, walking back inside, to find that people were gathered on the floor dancing for the last song. I could see both my siblings on the dance floor with their dates, as well as my parents. I was about to go to our table, but Dick stopped me. "Would you um... like to dance with me?" he stammered, rubbing his neck ackwardly. 

"Sure." I smiled at him. "But I must warn you... I'm terrible at dancing." He laughed. 

"I'll take care of you." he assured me, pulling me to the center of the floor. Once we were situated, he began the steps. I stepped on his foot five times in three seconds. "Wow. You were right." he joked. I stuck my tounge out at him. "Here, take you shoes off." I did ask he asked, shooting him a questioning look. He took them from me and ran to the table, coming back quickly without them. 

"Um Dick? Where are my shoes?" 

"You don't need them. Come stand on my feet." he told me. I immeadiatly knew where he was going with this. I did as he asked, and he held me in place by my waste. We began to waltz gracefully, twirling through the masses. He looked at me, smiling like ... like I was the brightest thing in his world. I loved it and hated it at the same time. I wanted to hate him, but like always, I never could. I couldn't blame him for what he said to me all those years, because everything was true. Why couldn't I hate him? It would make everything so much easier. Why did I feel so awful for lying to him about who I was. But I was afraid. Afraid that if I told him that I was Lexi and Lexi was Fox and we were all one in the same, that he would hate me. Because in truth, Fox and Star were non-existant. They were all Lexi. And he hated Lexi. He hated me. And if I told him, I would lose my best friend yet again. Could I handle it? I had been so... determind to make him eat his words. But maybe I had been fooling myself. Maybe what I really wanted was for him to accept me. 

"What are you thinking about?" he whispered in my ear, still guiding me around the floor. 

"Just... school." I lied. 

"Why? You probubally have straight A's" he laughed. He was right. I did have straight A's. 

"Okay you caught me. I was thinking about.. my dog." 

"Your dog?" he snorted. 

"Yeah, he freaks out when he gets left home alone for more than a few hours." It wasn't a total lie. Manhunter went mad everytime he was home alone. He would usually go in my room and lie on my bed, then start pacing, then cratching on the elevator doors. We once watched the security footage of him doing it for over three hours. 

"Well then I guess that it's a good thing that your parents are waving us over now then, huh?" he said gesturing in the direction of my parents. 

"I guess so." I sighed, not really wanting to let go just yet. He must have noticed, because he gave me a sad smile.

"I know. I don't really want to leave either. But come on." He stopped moving and I stepped down, slightly dizzy. We walked briskly to my family, as we were now joined by my sister, who winked at me. 

"We need to get going Star. Manhunter is most likely destroying the house." my mother sighed. "I'll never understand why you wanted such a big dog! You could have had a perfectly calm, small little lap dog, but nooo. You HAD to have the monstrous beast. His name fits him." I laughed at her. Deep down, she knew that she loved him. We got into the car and I checked the time. It was well past eleven, and it would be past midnight by the time we got home. I felt tired, so I leaned on Dick's  shoulder, instantly falling asleep. 

I woke up feeling myself being lifted out of the car. I assumed that it was my brother, but when I opened my eyes, I saw that my brother was occupied with his girlfriend. Looking up, it was Dick. He smiled down at me. 

"Go back to sleep." he said gently. I closed my eyes again as I heard the elevator ding open, letting us out at the top. "Wake up." he whispered. I opened my eyes and he put me down, holding me until I was steady. We yawned at the same time. 

"Richard, I can't allow you to drive home this late." My mom told him. "How about you and Star set up        some of the air mattresses in the media room and you can sleep in there?" 

"I'd hate to impose, Mrs. Grant." 

"Dear, imagine if you fell asleep at the wheel?! You're staying here. Now shoo. Borrow something from Nathaniel." I looked at Star, who was sleepily rubbing her eyes. 

"Come on Dick." she yawned, gesturing for me to follow her up the stairs. "Wait here." she told me, stopping at a door a few doors away from hers. She snuck inside, coming back a few seconds later with what I assumed were her brothers pajama pants and tshirt, then wordlessly led me to her room. "I'm just washing off my makeup, changing, then going to sleep. Did you already shower?" I nodded, taking the clothes from her. When she went into her bathroom, I changed into the clothes quickly and plopped onto her bed. I didn't even notice myself drifting off.

------------------------------

Okay so I hate this chapter too. Trust me things are going to get better. I don't like the mushyness... COMMENT AND VOTE PLEASE!!