four

September 22, 1978

It's been two weeks since my first patrol with Regulus. Since then, we've been more civil towards each other, but rarely speaking during the hour we spend together a few times a week. I've been trying not to think about it, spending my time on classwork, quidditch practice, and my friends. Our team is pretty solid this year, considering that James and Marlene are no longer on the team.

I tapped my foot anxiously underneath the table as Professor Slughorn walked into the classroom and greeted the class.

This is my last class of the day, and since it's a Friday, I'm itching for it to be over so that I can enjoy the weekend.

Shit.

I have to patrol with the idiot himself tonight.

Regulus Black rushed into the classroom, followed by Evan Rosier.

"Sorry, Professor, Professor Sprout let us out late," Regulus apologized, going straight to his seat.

Professor Slughorn waved him off, "That's quite alright, just take a seat."

Evan Rosier winked at me as he sat down in his seat, flashing me a grin.

I rolled my eyes at the sandy-haired boy, giving him the finger.

He frowned at me, turning to face the front of the classroom as Professor Slughorn started speaking.

"Today we'll be learning how to brew Veritaserum," Slughorn announced. "Can anyone tell me what the purpose of Veritaserum is?"

"Oh, that's the truth serum!" Evan Rosier blurted out. Regulus kicked him underneath the table, and Evan clapped his hand over his mouth, "Sorry, Professor."

Professor Slughorn laughed, "You are correct, Mister Rosier."

Evan gave Regulus an 'I told you so' look.

"The potion effectively forces the drinker to answer any questions truthfully," Professor Slughotn explained. "Although there are certain methods of resistance."

Emmeline leaned over and whispered, "That'd be fun for a game of truth or dare."

"It would be chaotic," I replied, "I love it."

Florence Martin, one of the Hufflepuff prefects, and one of the sweetest people I've ever met, raised her hand.

"Yes, Miss Martin?"

"What do you mean by methods of resistance?" She asked.

Slughorn sighed, "Well, despite being the most powerful truth serum in existence, it could still be resisted through different methods. Whether it's through the antidote, or even Occlumency, Veritaserum can be less effective or ineffective all together."

Professor Slughorn instructed us all to get out our potions books and start reading up on the potion.

Takes one lunar phase to brew.

Use of this potion is strictly controlled by the British Ministry of Magic.

When we were all finished reading up on the potion that we were supposed to start brewing, Slughorn instructed us to get our materials from the back of the classroom. I went to the back table to get the ingredients for Emmeline and myself.

Regulus Black pushed past me and reached in front of me, grabbing a handful of Jobberknoll feathers.

"My potion is going to kick your potion in the arse," Regulus whispered.

I smacked his hand away, grabbing a handful of Jobberknoll feathers. "In your dreams, Black," I muttered. Grabbing the rest of the materials, I turned on my heel and went back to my table.