twenty two

February 14th, 1979

Today is going to be insufferable.

The Great Hall was covered in heart and pink hearts, cupids, and glitter. It was almost sickening at seven in the morning. Couples are practically shagging in the corridors, not being able to keep their hands to themselves.

By the time that Emmeline and I get to Potions, I've given six detentions for unnecessary PDA in the hallway. It's not that hard to find a broom closet.

Evan and Regulus are already in their seats, talking in hushed voices.

I miss him.

"Hey, Vance, wanna be my valentine?" Evan asked loudly as soon as Emmeline sat down beside him.

Emmeline raised an eyebrow at him. "Wow, such a gentleman," She joked, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Did you give a lot of detentions this morning?" Regulus asked me.

I nodded, "Yeah, six for practically shagging in the corridor."

"Now that is the spirit," Evan chimed in. "Reggie gave out four detentions before eight."

Evan turned back around and began to shamelessly flirt with Emmeline, who turned down his advances while blushing furiously.

Regulus gave me a small smile as he got out his book and parchment to take notes.

The past two weeks have been odd. He's been making an effort with me, despite my rejection. Things are tense when it's just the two of us, but that's a given.

I miss him.

But I'm not just going to forgive him. For all I know it was an empty apology and he just wants a quick shag.

"Are you coming to the match this weekend?" Regulus asked.

I shrugged, "Yeah, I've got to see who we're going up against for the cup after we beat Ravenclaw in two weeks."

He smiled, "You've got a good point."

"I'm rooting for Hufflepuff though," I said, "Not Slytherin."

"I figured," Regulus replied.

- - - - -

February 17th, 1979

I leaned against the rail of the quidditch stands, looking down at the players on the pitch. Thomas and I got here early to save seats for our friends, which is how I ended up in the front row, sitting between Thomas and Maggie.

The match between Slytherin and Hufflepuff is about to start, and the stands are packed with students.

Since Sirius Black graduated last year, the commentating on the match has been boring because of the lack of bias and flirty comments.

"WELCOME TO THE SEMI-FINALS!" Rory Mitchell's, a seventh year Ravenclaw, voice echoes throughout the arena. "WE HAVE HUFFLEPUFF, WITH CAPTAIN MARIANA WATSON."

The crowd erupts into cheers as the Hufflepuff quidditch team walks to the center of the pitch.

"AGAINST SLYTHERIN, WITH CAPTAIN REGULUS BLACK."

The crowd cheers again and I catch sight of the Slytherin team meeting Hufflepuff in the middle of the pitch.

Madam Hooch says something probably along the lines of 'I want a fair game', Regulus and Mariana shake hands, and both teams mount their brooms.

The quaffle is thrown up.

"THE QUAFFLE HAS BEEN CAUGHT BY TALKALOT, SLYTHERIN IS IN POSSESSION."