fifty two

Song for this chapter: All I Ask - Adele

- - - - -

We landed in my front yard, and I wasted no time dragging Regulus up to the porch. I unlocked the front door and opened it, leading him inside. I closed the door behind us, setting my keys on the table in the foyer.

"You want to go upstairs?" I asked.

Regulus nodded and gave me a small smile.

He followed behind me as we went upstairs. I led him into my room and closed the door behind us.

I sat down on the edge of the bed and waited for Regulus to follow, but he didn't. He stood in the middle of my room, pacing back and forth.

"Regulus, what's wrong?" I asked again, more concerned this time.

When he didn't answer me, I pushed on.

"You've been acting off all night," I said. "Did something happen? With your parents-"

"Meredith."

The demanding tone of his voice caught me off guard, making me fall silent.

"I need you to listen to me, and I need you to listen very carefully," Regulus said, his voice softer this time.

I gulped, "Reg, you're scaring me."

Regulus ran his hands roughly through his hair before letting his hands drop to his sides in defeat.

"Do you remember what I said to you after Easter? In the Astronomy Tower?"

I shook my head. "You said a lot of things that night," I said softly.

"You asked me if I wanted out, and I told you that I was trying."

I nodded, "You said it was something that you don't want me involved with."

"I still don't want you involved with this," Regulus said. "But you deserve to know where I'm going, and why."

"Where you're going? What are you talking about?"

"Meredith," He says again, his voice making me go quiet.

I stared at him. He had stopped pacing, but now Regulus was standing in front of me, his eyes glossed over.

"I found a way out," Regulus said. "I found a way to get away from my family, to help Voldemort lose the war."

A million questions were running through my head, but I stayed silent.

"I have to go take care of a few things, so I have to go away for a while," Regulus explained.

I opened my mouth to protest, but Regulus cut me off.

"I can't tell you where. I'm not going to put you at risk like that. But you need to know that I'm going to do this because I need to be brave. I spent my whole life doing what was told of me, but this-, this is for me. I want to prove to everyone that I'm not a coward like everyone thinks, I want to help people, I want to feel like a good person."

His voice was beginning to break, and I could feel tears welling up in my eyes.

"So, I have to go away for a while, darling," Regulus said, stepping closer towards me.

"How long will you be gone?" I asked, my voice wavering.

Regulus shook his head. "I'm not sure," He said.

I was starting to piece things together, not wanting to accept what he was telling me.

"Regulus?"

He hummed in response.