fifty three

Song for the second part of this chapter: Skyfall - Adele

TW: Mentions of death

- - - - -

Regulus Black

"I love you, Regulus," Meredith said, her voice trembling. "Please come back for me."

I nodded at her, blinking away the tears that were wetting my cheeks. Before I could cave into her pleads for me to stay, I pulled my hands away from her, stepping towards the door.

I hope she knows how much it's breaking me to leave.

The sounds of her sobs cause me physical pain as I open her bedroom door and step out into the hallway, closing the door behind me.

I rushed down the stairs, wanting to put as much distance between us as possible. The longer that I'm near her, the more likely I am to give in to her wishes. But, I have to do this. I want to do this. This is for me just as much as it is for defeating the Dark Lord.

I slammed her front door behind me, walking through her front yard and past the wards.

Grabbing my wand, I prepare to apparate.

I still have one more person to talk to.

The world spins around me before my feet land on solid ground and I catch my bearings. I look up at the building towering over me. I pushed open the door and went straight for the lift, pressing the button for the third floor.

Meredith had mentioned to me where he lived. Apparently he moved here a week after we left Hogwarts.

The lift dings and the doors open, and I step out into the hall. It's well past midnight now, and the hall is illuminated only by the occasional ugly light fixture.

I walk down the hall until I reach apartment 3C.

I raise my fist and bang on the door, not caring if it woke up his neighbors. My fist rapted against the wooden door, the sound echoing throughout the empty hall.

It's not long before the door is flung open.

"Bloody hell-"

He rubs his eyes and glares at me.

"Black, what the fuck are you doing here?"

"Well, hello to you too," I muttered. "I need to talk to you."

Jack frowned at me. "What is so urgent that you woke up the entire floor?"

I push past him, stepping into his apartment. Jack starts to protest, but shuts the door behind me. He doesn't look the slightest bit pleased that I'm here.

"Why are you here?"

I glanced around his apartment. Considering the fact that he only moved in two weeks ago, the place is in pretty good shape. There's a couch and armchair in the living room, a coffee table, and a few boxes in the corner that still need to be unpacked.

"Black-"

I turned back and looked at him.

"I'm going away for a while, I don't know when I'm going to be back," I said. "And I need you to swear on your life that you will take care of her."

Jack stared at me with a confused expression on his face.

"I'm not an idiot, I know that you're in love with her."

His jaw tightened, his expression telling me all that I needed to know.

"So if you really love her, then you'll be there for her. You take care of her and protect her. Don't let her mope around about me, don't let her get too sad," I continued. "Because I'm not going to be around to make sure that she's okay."