twenty four

Song for the second part of the chapter: Two Birds - Regina Spektor

- - - - -

February 19th, 1979

When I went back to see my friends on Saturday, they all gave me curious looks-, except for Jack. I'm assuming that he put the pieces together. Thankfully, nobody brought it up. After curfew, I went to see him again in the Hospital Wing. I sat next to him and we talked for an hour until his pain medication kicked in and he fell asleep.

On Sunday, I caught up on homework, and went to see Regulus twice. The second time I saw him, I ran into Barty when I was leaving, and he gave me a dirty look. He must be oblivious to everything, unlike Evan. I'm glad that Barty doesn't seem to know anything, I don't think he'll be very happy if he ever finds out.

Although, I don't think a lot of people will be very happy if they find out.

Come Monday morning, the last of the snow had melted and the skies were clear and sunny. I was in a surprisingly good mood.

"Hello ladies."

I glanced up from my parchment to see Evan sliding into his seat next to Emmeline, winking at her.

Regulus set his book bag down with his good arm and sat down next to me, giving me a small smile that made my stomach flip.

"Long time no see," He whispered.

I smirked, "Yeah, it's been a whole twelve hours."

"Hey, McKinnon," Evan said, "What are the chances that I can convince Vance to go to Hogsmeade with me next weekend?"

I tapped my quill against my lips, pretending to think deeply about his question. "I say 1 in 25, 1 in 15 if you don't act like a total git when you do it."

"Reggie?" Evan asked.

Regulus shook his head, "I would say you have a 1 in 20 chance."

"I'll take those odds!"

Emmeline rolled her eyes, trying not to smile.

"So, Emmeline Vance, you want to go to Hogsmeade with me this weekend?" Evan questioned, making flirty eyes at her.

"I can't, I'm going with Meredith," Emmeline answered, looking smug.

Evan shook his head. "Surely she'll be fine without you."

"I don't think so, I mean, she's got nobody else," Emmeline teased, trying not to laugh. "Maggie's going with her boyfriend."

I scoffed sarcastically, "That was rude, but also very true. I won't be able to survive a Hogsmeade trip without Em."

"How about you come with me, and Meredith goes with Reg?" Evan said, gesturing back at Regulus and me.

Emmeline had a confused look on her face. "Why would Meredith go to Hogsmeade with Regulus?"

"Yeah, why would we?" Regulus asked, kicking Evan in the shin underneath the table.

Evan flinched when Regulus's shoe collided with his leg. "Oh, just because they're our best friends, and love us dearly, and they would third and fourth wheel with us."

"Maybe," Emmeline answered. "I'll think about it."

"Yes, that's progress!" Evan cheered.

- - - - -

The sound of my shoes on the stone floor echoed throughout the corridor as I made my way to the fourth floor for tonight's patrol. I quickly took the stairs before the staircase moved, and found myself standing in the fourth floor corridor.

Regulus was waiting for me, looking at the clear sky. The sleeves of his dark blue jumper were too long, and his right arm was still in a sling.

I leaned against the window sill next to him, looking up. The sky was filled with stars tonight, a half moon illuminating the grounds.

"You see that constellation right there?" Regulus asked, pointing out a group of stars.

I angled my head like his. "The Leo?"

"Yeah," He said, "And that star in the bottom right corner? The brightest one?"

I glanced over at him. The moonlight shone in through the window, washing over his pale face. His hair was getting longer, dark curls brushing against the back of his neck.

"Isn't that the Regulus star?" I asked, memorizing every dip and curve of his profile.

Regulus looked over at me, smiling softly. "Yes, it is," He said. "And that one over there, the brightest star that you can see?"

"That one?" I questioned, pointing at the sky.

"Yup, that one is the Sirius star."

I stared back at Regulus as he looked up at the night sky.

Nestled safely in the sky, Regulus and Sirius remained untouched, shining brightly together.

"Do you miss him?" I whispered.

Regulus shrugged, turning to look at me. His eyes softened. "I do, a lot," He answered.

"When did you last talk to him?"

"I don't know," Regulus admitted. "May?"

I frowned, "You should reach out to him. He misses you too."

Regulus smiled sadly. "How can you be so sure about that?"

"Because that's how I would feel if it was Marlene and I," I replied. "No matter what she does-, or doesn't do, she'll always be my sister. I'll always want her in my life."

"Even if she were an awful person?"

I sighed, "I don't think that you're an awful person, not one bit. But yes, even if she was an awful person."

Regulus leaned in and kissed me on the cheek.

I smiled at him, my cheeks going pink.

"Stop flirting," I said, "We are supposed to be model students."

He laughed softly, "Whatever you say, princess."

I grabbed him by the hand and dragged him away from the window. Our steps fell together as we walked through the corridor, hands still intertwined.

"Are we seriously going to Hogsmeade with Rosier and Vance?" Regulus asked.

I rolled my eyes. "I guess so, they really want us to go," I said.

"But what if we have other plans?"

I shook my head, "Well, we don't."

"But we could," Regulus suggested. "Everyone will be in Hogsmeade, so the castle will be dead all day."

"What are you implying, Reg?"

Regulus stuttered, "I-, I'm not trying to imply anything. I'm just saying that I would much rather spend time alone with you, rather than have to pretend like I'm not completely mental about you in front of our friends."

I glanced over at him, trying not to smile.

"What? What'd I say?"

I grinned, "You're completely mental about me?"

Regulus shrugged, "Well, yes, I thought you knew that."

I pulled him against me, our hands still intertwined at our sides. My lips met his, and we kissed softly. His lips moved slowly with mine, his other hand going to the small of my back.

"I'm completely mental about you too," I whispered against his lips.