Ch. 4 - Victor

I should have asked for her number.

She wouldn't have told me.

I want to know how she's doing.

Mara would flip out; Mara will flip out if she finds out about any of this.

I sighed, burying my hands in my hair as I sat at my desk, waiting out the clock and thinking about how to do what I really shouldn't be doing. The club opens at 6pm, but it'll be suspicious if I don't have dinner with Mara. So, I can't go right when it opens.

Would it seem creepy if I did? Kat doesn't have a boyfriend, but that doesn't mean she wants me hanging around all the time. She said I could come back and see her, but how much of that was... real? I felt like there was a real connection between us, that we had been more than just strangers in a dark room, but maybe she made everyone feel that way. There were more than enough men the other week that were willing to spend a ridiculous amount of money for a bit of intimacy from her...

If I go, then she doesn't have to degrade herself for the night. We can just relax, talk again, maybe even watch a movie – how long could I rent a room for? If I paid for her full shift, then she wouldn't even have to let those perverts touch her.

I'm not going back for anything inappropriate, so it's okay... right?

How long could that last though, realistically? Everything about Kat drew me in, made me forget about the life Mara and I had built for ourselves. It would be irresponsible to keep putting myself in situations where I might slip up, might lose everything I'd gained over the last ten years.

But ten years is a long time. People change.

I hadn't told anyone about my relationship anxieties before; I hadn't even told John or Adam, but Kat pulled it out of me so effortlessly. And she didn't judge my feelings, or tell me what to do about them; she just listened, and sympathized. She made me feel valid for having those thoughts.

My phone buzzed in my pocket, heart stopping when I saw it was a text from Mara.

"I'm going out with the girls tonight, you good on your own?"

Letting out a long breath, my body relaxed. It wasn't an accusatory message, she hadn't found out, though my stomach twisted at the thought that that was my first worry when she texted me.

"Sure, when will you be home?" I asked, wondering how long I would have to see Kat. If I went to see Kat. I shouldn't see Kat...

"Not sure, they want to stay out late. We might crash at Nadia's after, her place is close to the club."

Normally, I'd be feeling jealous at the thought of my fiancée going out drinking and dancing without me. It was a common occurrence, I was usually too tired from work to party with her, but today I was downright happy to hear about it.

Happy because it gave me a chance to do something I shouldn't have been considering in the first place. Setting my jaw, I tried to type a normal reply, one that wouldn't give away how much I wanted her to stay away from the house for the night. "I don't want you driving drunk – stay with Nadia, and stay safe alright?"

Her returned "will do" cemented my plans, standing from my desk and shutting everything down. It wasn't quite quitting time, but I couldn't sit and stew any further. I was going to use this opportunity... to give Kat a break. Nothing devious, just a night where she didn't have to focus on pleasuring random men.

"I'm going home early, leave any messages on my desk for Monday morning," I instructed to my secretary as I left my office, not waiting for her to acknowledge the demand before I was breezing towards the elevator. I had time to get changed, maybe have a shower, before the club opened up – it might be best to eat first too.