Ch. 27 Part 2 - Katherine

It's really over.

My eye's been better for a week now. A week that I spent working. A week without Victor.

He never put his name on our callback list, and he hasn't tried booking anything since the Monday I'd had to cancel after... after what happened with Doug.

He definitely remembered me; he'd looked positively horrified when mom used my full name. Of course, who wouldn't have freaked out after discovering they'd been paying a small fortune to fuck 'Katezilla' for months?

It at least saved me the trouble of needing to figure out when to tell him. The clean break was a blessing; I was glad I didn't have to endure a long, drawn-out farewell when he finally decided I wasn't worth it. I'd managed to put away some decent savings too, even if my regulars were now reduced by two.

Yep, just two.

I could have jumped them when Dan and Joel showed up again, gleefully swapping laps as they regaled me with stories from the impromptu 'vacation' they'd had to take when Joel's family found out about them dating.

"They thought you were roommates?" I teased, unable to hold back my genuine happiness as Dan laughed with me while I ran my fingers through Joel's dark hair.

"They thought we were roommates," he chuckled, even Joel grinning along with us, if not looking more bashful as Dan added his hand to mine in his curly hair. "Didn't exactly add up when his parents came by unexpectedly and saw there was only one bed at our place."

"I can only imagine the horror if you'd been with us too," Joel added, my happiness dampening a bit at the reminder of my own... responsibilities.

Dan gave him a hard look, slipping me a 50 and pulling me back into his lap, grunting into my cleavage as I switched my fingers to playing with his hair. "So, you guys moved?"

Joel nodded, sipping his drink – water, of course – while Dan simply groaned against my skin. "Sorry to leave you on your own for so long, Kitten," he murmured sincerely, my heart squeezing in my chest at the apology.

They didn't owe me anything, didn't need explanations or excuses, yet I felt so emotional at the simple, heartfelt words. The reassurance that they hadn't left on purpose or without a good reason, it was a balm to my broken heart at the other lengthy absence I was experiencing.

No, not a broken heart. It was just... trauma. Victor's withdrawal from my life had nothing to do with the pain I'd felt every day since the night with Doug... absolutely nothing.

"We won't be able to book a room for a while either," Dan added, coming up for air with brows quirked in apology. "The move was pricey since everything was so rushed, it could be another month or so before we can afford you."

I'd take them back to a room for free if I could. The memory of their consideration, their tenderness, their honest care was tempting beyond measure. 

But I had a job to do.

"You know I'm always happy just seeing you here," I reassured, cupping his fuzzy cheeks fondly. "Don't stress over rooms before you're even settled in."

Dan chuckled, grey eyes positively sparkling up at me as he held me close by the waist. "You should come by when we're all set up. No 'business' or anything, just to see the place."

I bit my lip, knowing full well I wasn't supposed to say yes. But it had been so long since I'd seen them, and I craved their affection, the warmth they so readily gave me; I didn't want to lose them again. Would it be so bad to leave Mom on her own for an hour or two during the day?

"Don't push her, Daniel," Joel scolded lightly, though I knew he would be just as happy if I did join them. It wouldn't be such a bad thing, right?

"Actually..." I glanced around the club, not seeing Elle's eyes anywhere as I leaned close to Dan's ear, speaking just loud enough for both of them to hear me. "I'd like that. I missed you guys."

The feel of Dan's arousal stirring between us was almost surprising – it shouldn't have been, it's kinda what I'm good at – but it was so sudden amidst the otherwise wholesome reunion we'd been having. Jarring. 

This is just what I do, there's nothing sleazy about a bodily reaction. This isn't like Doug.

I noticed our five minutes were almost up, turning my eyes to Joel and tapping his pocket subtly in a motion for him to pull out his phone. This was so wrong, it was against all the rules, but I couldn't handle the loneliness anymore.

I quickly muttered my number, trying to look like I was whispering something to Dan while Joel was distracted on his phone before pulling away from them and tucking the slew of bills they'd showered me with into my bustier. "Don't go giving that out all willy-nilly," I teased under my breath, trying to keep the mood light despite the massive breach of protocol I'd just done. "Or selling it."

Joel tried to laugh along with Dan, look natural, but I could see the hope in his eyes shining through. Hope that this would lead to more than just a daytime visit.

I couldn't date them, I needed as many regulars as I could keep – why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free and all that – but maybe we could at least be friends. It had been so long since I'd had friends outside work... so long since I'd had friends at all.

"We're not that desperate for cash," Dan grinned back, giving my tail a last playful tug. "And this is too precious to share. We missed you too, Kitten."

The snap of the elastic against my waist thankfully kept me from getting too emotional, poking his nose in retaliation before heading to the bar.

"You're awfully pleased with yourself."

The low baritone of Ethan's voice so close to my ear made me jump, trying not to look too guilty as I belatedly flashed him a bright smile. "I've got a couple regulars back, why shouldn't I be pleased?"

He shrugged, looking away at that. "Just making sure you're okay."

Making sure I'm okay? Was this about Victor's absence? I frowned, punching his massive bicep to little effect. "I don't need Mister Delaney around to be okay," I huffed, nodding at Lila as she asked me to take the next table their drink order since Sasha was otherwise occupied.

I was met with Ethan's raised brow when I turned back, his freckled face incredulous as I collected the mixed drinks onto a tray. "I meant after what happened with Doug," he rumbled, ice running through my veins as his doubt turned to concern.

I'd been caught.

"Doug was always an iffy customer," I muttered, distracting myself with balancing the drinks. "There's nothing to worry about with Dan and Joel."

I left before he could continue, making nice with the table that had been expecting Sasha to return. I even got one of them to slip me some cash, perched on his lap and chatting them up while avoiding Ethan's gaze like the plague. 

---

Pretend this didn't take more than half a week to get posted k thanks <3

Current chapter theme contenders are:

Hurt - Christina Aguilera

Comment here if you've got any other suggestions!

Thank you for giving this story a chance, and remember to let me know your thoughts and opinions as we move forward together!