13. Play the part

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
PLAY THE PART

AN ORDER OF TWO STEAKS, TWO ICE CREAMS AND SIDES OF CHIPS ARRIVED ALMOST IMMEDIATELY AFTER THEY ORDERED. Maybe it was the lack of customers, or maybe they just looked like the pair to order steak. So when the steak came, Augustine was pretty surprised to see it so quickly.

"Thank you," he said to the straw coloured waitress. The girl gave him a meek nod before hurrying off.

"Well, this looks appetising," Tom commented stiffly staring at his plate, to which Augustine rolled his blue eyes disapprovingly.

"Just eat, and could you tell me where we're going?"

Tom raised a brow at him, affronted at the order. Because no one ordered Tom Riddle around. He was the leader, not to be lead. And not certainly by Augustine.

"We're going to Yorkshire," He explained not at all bothered by the statement and instead stared loftily at his plate.

"And why?" Augustine pressed confused, his eyes scanned the boy in front of him, for anything, but his face remained the same — blank.

"Do you think I have a soul?" Tom asked through the silence. It felt sharp when it sounded through Augustine's ears he had to blink at the sudden question.

"Of course you do," reassurance wasn't Augustine's strong suit. If they thought so little of themselves, let them believe it, he thought spitefully, but with Tom, he had to. Had to reassure him. He just had to.

He sighed, a loud sigh that surprised Augustine, "then, I see I must tell you, I trust you now after all," he started, cutting his steak roughly. "Do you know anything about Horcuxes Augustine?"

Augustine raised a brow, "horcuxes? No, I don't." He hadn't come across them in any of his studies.

And Tom smiled, crinkling his eyes and it made Augustine smile, seeing him like this.

"Horcuxes are very simple things, i've been learning about them you see," he explained, his eyes wander off towards the window. Snow had started to fall. Augustine hated the snow. He hated Christmas and he hated most things. A boy full of hate.

He explained it thoroughly, how Tom would find a certain total, how it would make him immortal once all were found. He studied him, "why?"

"you already know the answer, you're a smart boy." Riddle complimented, a slight tilt indicated he wanted the answer out of him. Augustine thought for a moment.

"It has to do with the knights, you wouldn't keep them around otherwise." He started, his eyes started to flick up and down his body, eyeing him for any clues.

He knew Tom well now. He'd studied him for days on end. Always peering at him when no one would see. A voyeuristic approach maybe, but he loved to watch when Tom didn't see him. Watching as the mask slip. He'd seen it fall when he'd been torturing Olive.

"What makes you say that?"

"Isn't it obvious?" He wondered, "they're all fools, they wouldn't last without you, but why?"

Tom just stared at him, his eyes glinting with something Augustine couldn't place.

So he continued, "it's not going to be something whilst we're still at school then is it?" He started to think, why would Tom want immortality so badly?