09. Class in session

CHAPTER NINE
CLASS IN SESSION

MORNING CAME AND TOM WAS AVOIDING HIM. Annoyingly.

Of course he would, how could Augustine be so stupid? Of course if you stabbed the boy you were madly obsessed with then of course he would get freaked out and never speak to you again.

It was simple enough when Abraxas told him that at breakfast once Augustine realised Tom hadn't shown up.

"Honestly you're so fucking stupid," he said, mouth now empty of his croissant.

Augustine stared dully at the cereal in front of him; watching as the stray pieces bobbed on the white seas like small ships.

Bunny, who had slumped into the seat opposite the pair, laughed, "he's always stupid, but why now?" A little out of breath, Bunny had just finished his morning jog around the school. His face was a patchy red, his pointed nose sniffed once before he gulped coffee down his throat.

Augustine avoided his gaze. Just like they always did now. This was simply a routine; Bunny would try to make eyes at Augustine, and in return, Augustine would look away.

Reinhardt wasn't present at their breakfast table, as he hadn't gotten out of bed yet, feigning illness — Abraxas had wafted his hand once Augustine was starting to complain.

"Just leave him," he'd said sternly before Augustine followed him out of the dorm. He didn't ask any questions after that, it didn't seem all that necessary.

Theo had already been up surprisingly early, mainly running errands to figure out what to buy for Flicks birthday. It would land on Valentine's Day, so unfortunately for him, he'd have to get her double the gifts.

"He stabbed Tom, like an idiot," Abraxas replied to Bunny, taking a sip of his tea. Stirred with honey and something floral, Augustine recognised as the smell floated to him.

Bunny gasped, "you did?" wide eyed and manic, Bunny looked more proud than anything.

Augustine rolled his eyes, but kept quiet, his head instead turned to the door.

Watching it as it swung open, he felt his heart leap into his throat, suffocating him as he saw Tom enter the hall.

Without Holly.

Tom came straight to their part of the table, sliding into the seat besides Bunny, and opposite Augustine, he smiled to them all.

"Morning," He said simply.

Bunny stared between them oddly before smirking, "morning, any new accessories?"

Augustine kicked him under the table.

He scowled in response, but he knew he hadn't hurt Bunny. No one could. It was impossible.

"Excuse me?" Tom raised a brow and then turned his head to Augustine, "did you have fun last night? I didn't seem to see you after my shift, I thought you must've gone to bed early or something,"

Tom tilted his head, eyes glittering.

Augustine frowned, as did Bunny and Abraxas. Well this wasn't what he'd expected to happen.

Maybe he was saving face, yes.

That was it.

Maybe he would get an earful of Tom telling him never to do it again later, or maybe Tom had seen the truth, that Augustine really was the only one who could love him. He hoped it was the later.

So they went back to silence, eating their breakfast until Theo finally joined them.

"Reinhardt not with you?" Abraxas asked, head lifted in interest from his muggle studies book.