16. Circes Midnight

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CIRCES MIDNIGHT

THE SECOND OMEN AUGUST ENCOUNTERED WAS A GHOST. Now he knew that Hogwarts normally had its fair share of ghosts roaming the halls, but this wasn't like those ghosts. No.

This was a ghost he'd picked up a while ago.

He hadn't always been a necromancer. He'd only gotten into it because of his loneliness he'd endured at Beauxbatons. So like any lonely boy does, he went to the library, scouring for books, making friends with the ink on the pages, and that's where he picked up necromancy.

It wasn't hard. Like most people said it would be. It had come to August quite easily. Maybe it was because he'd surrounded himself with death his whole life. Or maybe Circe had chosen him for it. He'd hoped it was the later. It was a nice feeling being chosen.

He was wandering the woods when he first met Circe. Tired and thirsty, Madame Bobin had told him it was just dehydration, and that he couldn't possibly see her.

But he did. He saw her clear as day. He'd only been wandering for a peace of mind, and to rid the tears that had fell. It was stupid crying, he knew this, but it was hard when the other boys in his year were so foul.

They'd learn later on though, he'd make them terrified of him.

And there she was, a thing of light. She'd spoke so sweetly to him, smoothing down his hair so gently it was feather-like. And then she whispered into his ear, and necromancy was at his fingertips to control.

The first ghost he'd met was him.

His name had once been something great. Now his name was lost on dead tongues, forgotten by everyone he cared for.

Now he was just called Midnight. Mainly because he only appeared at midnight, and he'd been the first ghost August had brought to the living, just for a moment, to see the future.

He'd seen parts of it. How he'd not stay at Beauxbatons for long, but nothing more. He didn't need to. He knew it in his heart from day one he wouldn't stay there. It was never right for him, as if he had been called to Hogwarts.

A voice in his ear, whispering for him to join Hogwarts, live in the house of snakes, and become someone greater.

But he hadn't seen Midnight in years. He'd disappeared leaving an open wound in August's heart. He'd grown to think of him as a father figure, from their time shared together, and then he left, as if he wasn't there at all.

He hurried down the steps of the quiet castle that night, careful to avoid the house ghosts, and made his way to the forest to meet Circe once more.

But unfortunately for him, he didn't count on anyone being awake, and as he passed classroom after classroom in bliss, a light skip to his step. It had startled him when he saw a figure in the hallway.

"Why are you up?" He asked regaining his composure and dragged his hand away from his beating heart from where it rested as he stared at the other boy. His dark hair slightly messy from lack of sleep, his eyes hooded.

Tom just smiled as if they were still speaking jovially, as if he'd forgotten what had happened earlier as he neared him, "prefect duties, or have you forgotten?"