You Need To Calm Down

ok just fyi- i don't LOVE the song pairing for this chapter in that YNTCD doesn't match perfectly like some other chapters match with their songs, but it's the best i could do lol. not a big deal at all but i just thought id throw that out there lmao

happy love on tour pt 2 commencement, take care of yourselves ;)

but you're taking shots at me like it's Patron

BROOKLYN'S POV

"Earth to Brooklyn."

"What?"

I blink a few times, realizing I completely spaced out. Frankie is waiting for my attention, holding up two pairs of shorts like he wants me to choose between them for tonight.

"Uh...the black." I nod to the pair in his right hand and he nods.

"Was hoping you would say that. Are you good?" He asks.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine." I nod in response, even though I have no clue why I was so zoned out.

"Okay, well, we're leaving in twenty so you should probably change." He continues, halfway out the door and on the way back to his room.

I check the time on my phone, seeing that it's twenty to eight and we are in fact supposed to leave in twenty minutes. I remove the blanket from over my legs, standing up and taking a second to think about what to do first.

I guess after two weeks, my mental turmoil still hasn't subsided– the turmoil about the news Devin broke to me about the band that somehow flipped my world upside down and suddenly I feel like I'm standing on the ceiling.

I know it shouldn't flip my world upside down to such a degree– it's been eight months. I should be over it, right? Over him. The reality is that I'm definitely not. And the past two weeks have been filled with moments like the one that just happened– I space out because I'm overthinking and people have to snap me out of it.

Devin just said it means I still care. Which I know is true, because I do.

I don't know.

It seems as though I never know.

Tonight, there's a big bonfire on campus and it's this huge annual event that literally every student comes to. Naturally, we're all going. I thankfully don't have anything to do tomorrow besides hang out at the rescue center; I had a much busier day today and I'm tired, but I still want to go tonight.

Frankie, Kalani, and I are meeting Jones there, along with Sadie– which by default means Tyler too. I don't really care, but it's still annoying. It's not like I can personally ban him from a campus wide bonfire anyway. Even though I want to.

Frankie's right, I should definitely change because we're leaving in fifteen minutes. I'll be fine, though, because this bonfire is incredibly casual and people usually just wear t-shirts, shorts, or sometimes bathing suits because they'll end up at the beach after it's over. I've never actually been to one, but I've seen them going on and Jones has told me about them.

I finally move and grab just that– a bathing suit, shorts, and a tank top, and I shut my door to change. After I do that, I brush through my hair and leave it down, putting a hair tie around my wrist in case I decide otherwise. Then I slip my phone in my pocket, open the door again, and wander into Kalani's room.