This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

here's a toast to my real friends

BROOKLYN'S POV

"Oh, we're already inside. I brought a bunch of food from the diner too."

"Thank god. We're ten seconds away, can you make sure Cooper's gone outside so he doesn't pee all over the floor again?"

"Ew. Yeah."

"Thank you. We're here anyway."

Devin, Reagan, and Hadley are already inside my house– what's new?– because they wanted to have a sleepover, and when they want to have a sleepover I'm not given the choice. But that also means that Harry's going to join us because he and I are a package deal these days, which also means that the rest of the boys will be joining us because wherever we go, they follow.

Trampled by Cooper when I walk through the door, I hear the girls in the kitchen and I walk in to see them pouring a myriad of snacks into huge bowls.

"Did you clear out the diner's entire stock?" I widen my eyes.

"No." Devin rolls her eyes. "But there are in fact nine of us, so out of the kindness of my heart, I stopped at the store and got more snacks."

"Which we would have even more of, but someone got hungry." Reagan comments, her eyes going to Hadley who's rolling her eyes.

"I'm not apologizing."

The front door opens and the noise levels in the house immediately go up ten levels, making Cooper bark and the introvert in me brace itself.

"I need a wee!" I raise my eyebrows as Liam sprints down the hallway and the bathroom door slams shut.

"And I'm starving." Niall says, immediately grabbing the first food item he sees, quickly followed by the rest of the boys.

With a mouthful of chips, Harry approaches me leaning against the counter and traps me in by placing his hands on the counter on either side of my waist.

"We should watch a scary movie." He mumbles with a mouthful.

"But I–"

"Hate scary movies. I know. Which is why I will generously offer myself for you to turn to if you get scared."

"You think you're slick."

"Still no regrets."

"I feel like even if I say no I'm totally gonna get outnumbered."

"Eight to one."

"Fine." I give in easily, sighing as he shoots his hands up in victory.

Maybe I'm only saying yes because it's going to give me the excuse to cuddle him a little too much. Sue me.

"She said yes!" He yells, and the boys that are in the room also get excited, telling me that this was definitely preplanned.

"Horror movie night!" Niall yells, and then gasps. "We should build a fort."

Suddenly, now I'm on board. I haven't built a fort since I was ten, probably.

"I'm not going to stop the fun. Just clean up my living room!" My mom sighs, waving us off as she disappears to her bedroom and leaves us to our own accord. Probably not the best idea, because I feel kind of bad when I'm grabbing every sheet we own from the linen closet and dumping them on the couch.