35. LAPPING WAVES.

Elena's POV:

One whole day of travelling. Or fifty minutes of travelling. Which would you choose?

Any sane person would go with the second option since it's fast and effective. Too bad that I am stuck with a bunch of insane teammates, specifically an insane brother, who thought leaving a day before the mission in a customized RV and travelling continuously for twenty-four hours would be an excellent idea.

I don't know, at this point, if I should shoot him or myself!

And my father didn't even retort to this plan when Ben and Gwen showed him a brief presentation of how leaving a day earlier would be a perfect distraction and a good cover-up. And the worst part, my dad agreed with them without a question.

Now, here we are, gamma and Delta team, travelling to our destination in an armed RV to catch the dark dragons. It's been seven hours, Ben drove the RV for two hours after much contemplation. But when he almost smashed the RV against a nearby truck, we had to switch it with Liam. He was an adequate driver, unlike my brother, as he drove for five hours. The rest of the team were having a good bonding time. By bonding, I meant having good verbal conflicts, threats, bets, dares, and some boring board games. Feels homely. A bunch of kids on a family vacation. Yay, me!

And the most shocking event that is currently happening is so shocking that Ben and Gwen discarded their card games just to watch them with wide-eye expression. By them, I meant Alex and Jayden. And those two were playing together.

Well, chess. They were playing chess. Not together. Technically, against each other.

The game was so intense that each move was calculative, clever and smart. They both glared at chess pieces like their life depends on it. Jessica and Jen were tired as they fell asleep in the convertible bed. Gwen, Ben and I were watching the chess match intently.

The game prolonged that Ben and Gwen got so frustrated that they decided to stop the game by pushing away all the pieces which earned them a glare from Alex and Jayden. Too bad, I was waiting to see who would win.

Time went by as we switched the driver now and then. The start of the journey was slightly interesting but as time went by, everyone got tired and fell asleep.

I was going through my laptop, as usual, watching Meghan's proclamation, trying to find if there is something that would catch my eye. But I should have known. She kept her identity hidden for all her life. She's not a type of criminal who goes unplanned on the field. She is clever. Smart. Cunning. Not a single clue.

I shut my laptop and check my watch to see it's six. We will probably reach the coastline by one. Seven more hours to go. I stretch and look outside the bulletproof window to see the sun setting and eliciting a beautiful burning glow as it spreads its blanket of coral to the world. I turn to see Alex driving the RV. My eyes narrow. Wasn't he supposed to switch by now? Was he driving for last ten hours?

I turn towards Jayden. "Weren't you supposed to switch with him?"

He looks up from his phone to me, then Alex before rolling his eyes back at his phone. "He never asked for it."

"And you didn't think that you should go ask him yourself?"

Jayden lifts his gaze at me and lifted an eyebrow, "From when did you come to a conclusion that I am a good person, Eighteen? And above all, to be a good person towards him?" He asks pointing at Alex, then shrugs, "No, thanks."

"Sometimes I think Jessica has all right to hate you," I hiss under my breath. I shouldn't have said that. It has nothing to do with me. The past must have stayed in the past. I know how bad it is to reopen old wounds. I can't help but put him back in his place. I kinda regret it. Just a little though.