58. YOUNGEST HEIR.

Alex's POV:

I was suddenly jerked out of my sleep as a storm slapped my face. Water cascaded down my face, dripping down my jaw as I coughed relentlessly. I tug my hand, hoping to wipe my face. Too bad, it's tied up.

I look up, drops hanging on my lashes. I shake my head, getting rid of specks of water. When I open my eyes again, I glare at the one who dared to interrupt my sleep.

"Is this how you plan on waking me up every time?

"At least the king had mercy on you."

I let out a dry chuckle. "Mercy? Really? Well, the cuts on me speak otherwise."

Meghan pulled her long sleeve, covering her palm as she swiped it tenderly on my bruised temple. I lean back, wanting to have enough distance between us.

"When I care, you retract."

"Tying up your brother, starving him for three days in a closed-cell is care? I guess I have been looking up the wrong dictionary."

She stepped aside, grabbing her coffee and sipping the drink. "Don't lie. I didn't starve you."

I clench my teeth which makes my jaw ache. "You gave me caffeine so I don't sleep."

"As I said, we are showing mercy. Unlike someone who left you here to rot."

I take a deep breath and let it out on a resigned sigh. How long is she gonna repeat this in hopes of manipulating me? "Give up, already. It's not working on me. No matter what you say about her, it's not gonna change anything."

"She did not choose you!"

"You did not choose me either!"

My anger is overtaking my brain once again. Meghan glared at me, tilting her head with a questioning gaze.

"Excuse me?"

"You didn't choose me. You chose Antonio over and over again. You know, I trusted you. I kept repeating in my head over and over again that maybe Antonio manipulated you to behave like this. Maybe he inscribed in your head his motives. And he did. But you Meghan—you could have said no like the way I did. You could have," I take a deep breath and let it out. "But you didn't. You think I am on a leash for Elena? But the truth is, you have been on a leash for Antonio."

"HE IS OUR FATHER!"

"No, he is not! He never was. Which father sends their kids to spy?! Who recruits an eight-year-old to plot a murder?! He is selfish, Meghan. He would even kill you if he wants to achieve his vision."

I hear the door open as I lean my head to the right to see who it is. A tall, dark figure walked in. When the shine of the little lantern fell on his face, my glare hardens. Speaking of the devil...

"A little family reunion?" He walks towards his daughter, wrapping his hand around her shoulder proudly. I turn away, tiredness seeping into my bones making my head feel fuzzy.

"You know, if it wasn't for you, we wouldn't have got the coordinates and the disk. So at the end of the day, Esposito always thrives."

At this point, I don't want to repeat myself and let them know I am not an Esposito. It's a waste of my breath and time. This father-daughter duo is seriously getting on my nerves as I hold on to my logical side of mind by not doing something which I would later regret. By doing something, I mean punch them. I have been twisting my hand since I woke up and before I passed out. I felt the knots loose. One tug, my hand would be free. I would rather keep that knowledge to myself and strike during a life-threatening situation.