36. GWENDOLYN WRIGHT.

Elena's POV:

He jumped.

Right after Gwen plunging into the deep dark ocean, Ben didn't hesitate once to jump right after her. I watch him soaring through the sky before falling into the ocean, creating a pattern of ripples on the surface.

"Ben-" I don't complete my sentence as I monotonously take a step forward to jump after him. My eyes stayed focused on Ben as he broke out of the surface of water before taking a deep breath and disappearing inside the dark unforgiving ocean once again. Right before I can take another step forward, someone grabs hold of my hand and pulls me back from the edge. I don't turn around to see who it was. My eyes are still focused on the ocean which is devoid of Ben and Gwen. I struggle to free my hand, my anxiety reaching its new heights.

"Don't. Ben jumped to help Gwen. He knows very well how to swim," I hear Alex speak. I take a deep breath and let it out as I nod my head. The sound of bullets seemed to be ceased as the dark dragons quickly mount their crates inside the ship, trying to escape. In a desperate situation where I have to choose either Gwen or to continue with the mission, I would, without a doubt, choose Gwen.

Jayden and Jessica were already moving along the rocky edge towards the shore. We follow suit. We were so close to completing the mission, but I don't care losing for once. Priorities change. And my priority right now is Ben and Gwen's safety.

Just as I was carefully walking down the steep pathway, I look back to the ocean and sigh in relief when Ben pulled Gwen towards the shore. We run towards them. The wind has picked up the pace as a cold shiver ran through me when I see Ben kneeling beside Gwen's unmoving body.

Jayden was the first to reach them as he quickly knelt beside Gwen and got hold of her hand to check for the pulse. I look at Gwen to see her face looking so pale like a blank sheet of paper. Her hair was wet and tangled, few of her strands stuck to her forehead.

"Gwen...hey, wake up," Ben speaks up, patting her check. Her body laid limp on his lap, barely breathing. Her mouth was slightly parted as her head rolled to the other side. Jayden placed his hand against her neck to check for her pulse. I wanted to ask if she's alright, but his expression says everything. His jaw trembles as he clenches it.

"Gwen..." Jayden's voice cracked as he whispered and looked away to blink back the tears. If anyone here knows Gwen better, it's Jayden. If anyone gets affected the most, it would be him. I feel my own throat clog up. I try to swallow down the lump. He looked up at Jessica, his eyes crimson red, as he shakes his head once. Jess placed her hand, covering her mouth, as she turns around. Jennifer tires to console her in futile attempts. While Jayden seemed defeated and broken, Ben was still persistent.

"Gwendy, wake up right now," He ordered, his voice firm as he shook her shoulders. "Look, there is enough air around us to supply oxygen, just breathe in that!"

"Ben..." I call out, placing my hand on his shoulder. He barely realizes anyone around him as he kept urging Gwen to wake up.

"Jokes aside, wake up now," He spoke once again, trying to keep his cool, but clearly he was panicking with each passing second. He ran his hand through his soaked hair in frustration as his other hand held Gwen's head.

I notice Ben monetarily freeze as he slowly brought his other hand, which supported Gwen's head, away to look at his palm. Gwen stayed limp against his shoulder, but my eyes are now cast over my brother's hand. My heart clenches involuntarily.

His hand is coated in blood.

Gwen's blood.

Without another word, Ben started shaking Gwen aggressively, wanting her to open her eyes. "GWEN, IT'S NOT FUNNY. WAKE UP RIGHT NOW!! I AM SERIOUS!"