65. LIFE

Elena's POV:

Walking into the agency with recently-retrieved-from-death-Alex was fun.  Everyone swamped him as they kept throwing questions. But the best part was when the females tried to crowd around him to have his attention.

Alex looked helplessly at them, turning his head in every direction in search of me. When he spotted me, leaning against the far corner of the wall, he raised his eyebrow, requesting help.

I shrug in return which was returned with a glare.

"Agent Twenty-two, if it wasn't for you we really wouldn't have caught Meghan!" A girl screeched like a barbie.

"Why did you get caught, Agent Twenty-two? I know it was your plan but seriously, who could seriously be so brave?!"

"You have no idea how devastated I was when I heard about your demise," Another barbie said, dramatically waving her sharp nailed fingers around.

"Agent Twenty-two, will you—"

I clear my throat which made everyone stop questioning helpless Alex and turn their gaze on me. I fold my hand to my back and scan everyone with my indifferent eyes.

"If everyone is happy and content with Agent Twenty-two's answers, I would like for you all to excuse us."

"But—"

"—Let me reframe that statement. We are leaving. You can interview him later," I state and tug Alex away with me. I hear feminine whines behind me which I ignore.

"Where are we going?"

"Dad's office."

Chief was on a call when we entered. He looked up and motioned us towards the couch. We sat comfortably as we patiently waited for dad to complete his talk. He frowns and mutters something before hanging up.

"Agent Twenty-two, it's good to finally have you back."

Alex nods. "Thank you, sir."

"The news is on fire. The government approved our plans. It's time for us to execute them."

"Are you sure you want to do the kill?" I ask, looking up at him.

"Who could be a perfect candidate?"

"I am."

"Not this time, princess."

After we went through the plans with a few changes which dad wasn't appreciative of but with my logical reasoning, he agreed to it. When we were done, dad asked us to go ahead as he had some calls to be dealt with.

Just as I was walking towards the door with Alex, I remember something. I stop as I turn to look at my dad's back as he had his head hunched towards his phone before placing it against his ear. Alex turned and looked at me.

"You okay?"

"Yeah. I just need a minute. Will you wait—" He cut me off.

"Yeah."

Alex walked out, shutting the door. I turn my gaze on my father as I walk towards him. With my hand stretched out, I tap on his shoulder twice.

He turned and looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "I'll call you back in a minute," He quickly pockets the phone, and then turns his attention to me.

"Yes, Elena?"

"I wanted to ask you something. If you're busy, maybe we can—"

"No, of course not. Tell me. What is it? Boy trouble?"

I scrunch up my nose. "What? No!"

He laughed. "I am just kidding. Tell me. What's wrong?"

I take a deep breath and let it out. I need to get it off my chest. I have to know the answer. He would either be accurate or outright lie to me. There is no in-between.