Finding Hope.

Having to drag around my own body, but having my little sister just felt unfair, she won't ever get a childhood playing soccer, getting to graduate and experience life.

Roaming around in the woods for what seems like hours going in circles.

"Are we there yet, we've been walking for hours" Bea dragged out the s's like she would when we went on road trips  "long ago"

"We'll find a shed before sunset, m'sorry Bea"

She nodded, looking down and spreading her feet in the leaves that shed each fall, guessing each month that comes around.

Bea rapidly shaking and tapping my hand, getting behind my legs, reading her expressions there must be dead in front of us, bending down putting a finger in front of my lips to tell her to keep quiet,

She nodded afraid of letting go of my hand, I walked behind the zombie and I lodged my knife into its head.

"You got em?" She asked in a yell whisper.

"All good, no worries" I gave her a thumbs up, jogging back to her, grabbing her hand and on another path to find shelter.

Walking for hours, the sun getting lower and lower the longer we searched for something, hoping to find anything at this point, not wanting to disappoint Bea again I was determined to find something.

Coming to an end of a hill, houses lining up all next to each other.
My eyes lighting up, a huge smile appearing on Beas face, I give her a nod and slide my backpack down first then myself, 

Giving an "all clear" thumbs up quickly while she threw her backpack down, and her engraving her feet in the dirt while walking down so she didn't go too fast.

Reaching for her small hands, she jumped off the dirt pile onto the gravel.

Picking up both of our bags, I wrapped the straps of the bag around her shoulder, zipping it back up to make sure no supplies fell out.

Walking up to the first house we see about 3 zombies, all of them tapping at the widow like something you would see in a horror movie, moving on.

Walking two houses down just to be sure and for Beas safety, I inspect the outside of the house looking through the windows,
Being clear so far, grabbing my gun from the waistline of my jeans.

Pointing my gun straight ahead while quietly opening the door.

"Stay close, behind me, don't panic and stay silent, got it?" whispering down to bea.

She gave a thumbs up and followed close behind, pointing the gun forward, turning each corner, holding my breath with each move.

All the rooms cleared, I let out a shaky breath.

Dropping our backpacks in the main bedroom, Bea climbing into the bed, practically asleep already.

Laying on top of the bed, just looking around the room eyes getting heavy, everything going dark but rudely being awoken by my tossing and turning.

Getting up trying not to wake Bea, walking around the room picking up a broken bloody photo frame, it was a family photo of it looked like a mom a father and two sons.

putting it in my back pocket, just in case.

Checking the the dresser for anything new or something that would help us, but once again, nothing.

Getting sleepy again I walk quietly back to bed, laying in the bed now turning on both sides before getting comfortable.

feeling the exhaustion comfort me before I realize I'm fully asleep now.