One More Day.

My eyes shoot open as I hear banging on the door,
Looking over Bea fully asleep still I quickly grab my gun and aggressively shaking her awake mouthing "sorry's" along with it.

Her groggily getting up and staying in front of  me, keeping my gun close we hear the door open and shut.

8 steps, all together.

There were 4 people in this house with us trying to think big I spot the bedroom window.

Bending down and putting a finger up to my mouth signaling to keep quiet and telling her that we have to stay together.

Dropping our backpacks out of the window and having to climb out,
Boosting Bea to climb out of the window I hear the group call out.

" hello? is anyone in here?" a man spoke

Giving Bea a nod, her jumping down from the window onto the gravel, hearing them get closer to "our" room I quickly climb over and jump down.

The door swiftly opens in the room above us  and I point to Bea to go behind the house as quiet as she possibly could.

Hearing them crunching the gravel with all of their shoes,
I hear bits and pieces of the conversation their having its some along the lines of

"There was someone in there, maybe multiple people, be alert and keep together, this way now"

It sounded like the same man, same accent.

Telling Bea to quietly go the opposite way of where they were going, following her back into the woods,
Falling on a log in my way, I snapped a couple twigs, eyes wide praying that they didn't hear anything.

Having to move quickly, I got up and we jogged until we got far enough, no zombies in sight.

Laying against a tree, examining my ankle to see if anything extreme happened, just a sprain but man did it hurt like a bitch.

Grabbing the backpack and rummaging around for a a water bottle.

Savoring the water for a more "special event" but offering up some water that we had to Bea but she shook her head looking low.

"Come on! as a treat!" I suggested while smiling

Bea laughing and talking the bottle out of my hand, taking a huge sip and spilling some by accident, enjoying the quiet forest, chirping birds Bea trying to copy the birds manners as quietly as she could.

"You know when mom died, her favorite bird was a goldfinch, on the way here from the house I saw three all spread out throughout trees, shes protecting us" Bea spoke very quietly almost a whisper like she was just speaking to herself.

"Do you know why she named you Bea? I asked sparking a more light hearted conversation.

Shaking her head no "why?" Sounding very intrigued in what I was gonna tell her.

"She loved bees! and when we were taking you home from the hospital you didn't quite have a name yet but once a bee landed on your carrier she had the perfect name for you" I told Bea

Her eyes wide and cracking a wide smile gasping at every detail I remembered.

"Tell me more! Some about you too" she giggled

The forest getting darker and eyes getting heavier, we fell asleep picturing the stories and memories we told each other.