Something Old, Something New

For the people who don't want read a chapter full of OCs and feelings, you can choose not to read this!

This is just a filler and to plug some things I think are plot holes and maybe even a little character development, not sure.

Anyway, enjoy!

July 6, 2021
| 2:14 PM GMT |
discord

mnemosyne
hey

frankiestein
hey
how you doing?

mnemosyne
im good
can we like
call?
i think we might need to talk

frankiestein
of course

xxx

real life

Lee took a deep breath, her fingers shaking from her nerves.

This is it, they were going to talk. It's been months, and scrolling through their chats, she can see how their interactions grew less and less since Lee moved to the UK. They haven't even had a proper conversation since March, only 'hi' and 'ttyl' in the span of minutes or even seconds.

She doesn't know if she's ashamed for neglecting their friendship or if she hates herself when she remembers Frank was there for her in her darkest times and there she was, replacing him.

But Lee's therapist says it wasn't replacement. She says that it's normal to drift apart. She says that it's Lee's choice if she wants to just stop talking to Frank or if she wants to talk to him about it. She says whatever Lee feels would help her.

Lee thinks Frank deserves to hear from her, at least.

So here she is, her finger hovering over the call button. However, before she could, her phone rings and Frank's icon pops up.

Lee picks up.

They're both silent, and Lee can feel her skin crawling. Emotions are not her strong suit, and no matter what she thought as a preteen, emotional talks scare her. Even right now, she has the urge to make a joke and ignore the elephant in the room. She much prefers to be happy and content all the time than this.

But Frank- Frank knows her.

And so she shouldn't have been surprised when he decides for them.

"We're not-" Frank stops for a bit and restarts, "We're not that close anymore, are we?"

It's said wryly. Because for all the distance between them now, Frank will always know how hard it is for Lee to talk about feelings. Especially guilt and shame, no matter how much he doesn't think she's to blame. And no matter what happens, Frank knows how to make Lee relax.

She does, by the way. Relax, that is.

Lee takes a deep breath, acknowledges the small smile that she can practically feel from Frank's side of the call, and decides that they both deserve some sense of closure. So, she talks.

"I don't think we are." Is what Lee finally says, the words heavy on her tongue. It's hard, but Lee knows how to be stubborn against herself. This is not something she will let herself run away from. "I still care about you, you know."