Chapter 10: Read The Rule Book

I saw a movement in the hall outside my room and sighed loudly.

My actions had the desirable effect as my dad came back to stand at the doorway with a frown.

Thank goodness it's not mom!

"What are you thinking about, chipmunk?" He asked as he leaned against the doorframe.

I sighed dramatically again as I pouted and looked down at my criss-cross, pajama clad legs.

My sigh again had the desirable effect as he walked inside the room and took a seat on the bed near me with a concerned look.

Never underestimate the telepathic power of a heavy sigh!

"Talk to me, jelly bean." He spoke in a soft voice.

Damn! He knows that I ate all the jelly beans...

"Daddy, what can someone do to become more likable?" I asked him, not looking up at him.

You see, if I look up, he will know exactly what I am talking about. My dad had that super power which made him a mind reader.

But it only works with me, my brother and my mom... Weird, right?

"Why do you ask? Did something happen at school?" He questioned, leaning down, trying to look at my face.

"I asked a question first, Daddy!" I pointed out as I looked up at him.

"I can only help you if you answer my question first, peanut." He told me with a small smile on his face, making me pout.

Even my dad thinks that I am a peanut-brain!

That is just sad!

But that does explain why I have peanut-brained friends...

"Okay, fine!" I sighed. "One of my friends... Well everyone was saying bad things about him and I didn't like that." I told him, looking down again.

Hunter didn't deserve to be called a bully...

You can call him moody, grumpy, scary and a lot of other things but he's not a bully.

Especially not when he was just trying to help me...

It's all my fault and I'll fix it!

"I thought Dan had a lot of friends to back him up with things like that." Dad frowned. "Wasn't he like... popular?" He raised an eyebrow in question.

He thinks that I am talking about Danny-boy...

Oh boy! This is gonna be harder than I thought...

"This is not about Dan." I mumbled. "But on a completely different note, Paige slapped Dan twice and then kneed him. That too in a crowded hallway." I snickered as I remembered the scene.

That was awesome!

But I will never offend Paige ever...

She's scary...

"Woah! What did he do to deserve that?" Dad asked.

"Daddy! You're going off topic here!" I scolded him with a serious look.

I can't tell him what Dan did... Or else Dan won't have any fingers tomorrow...

My dad's super protective of me...

"I was just curious." Dad raised his hands up in surrender.

Ah! The good old curiosity... It's gotten me into way too much trouble...